One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The potato's will remain under cover for two weeks before being dug.

And in my spare time i knocked together this portable cold frame, something that can travel to whatever’s growing early and late and needing covered.
Right now there’s some romain and cilantro, both of which were drowning from the amount of rain we’ve had; and more starting again tomorrow!
Ive never fooled with “cold frames” before so im interested in how much time it may add in the spring and fall for salad stuff?
The front panels slide back and forth and lift out. And the sections come apart easily when it’s time for that. It’s pretty ungainly right now but im gonna see what i want to change after this fall and next spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1223.jpeg
    IMG_1223.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These beds are all 3x3x12, filled with organic garden soil to within 10 inches of the top. Then 9 cu/ft of 707 organic potting soil and 180lb. of play sand. The bed was raked and troweled and will sit for a week, during which time it will settle some.
Once settled i’ll add a wheelbarrow of compost and till to blend, rake and trowel again and in the spring; Onions will go in here!

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1229.jpeg
    IMG_1229.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As long as my dozen or so support lines hold this apple tree is in no real danger. The apples are a bit sweeter this year😊

The crab is loaded, as usual.
Both are sauced then some frozen in ice cube trays and some canned.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpeg
    IMG_1234.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 73

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Spent a couple hours this morning with the canoe and a couple vintage fly rods; hoping to generate some “inputs for the fish emulsion barrel”🙄
Actually it was just me screwing off; man cannot live by gardening alone! Before long the water will be hard and it was a great time of early morning respite!
It doesn’t matter to me if im in the garden or in the wild’s, creation is always awe inspiring! At 73 im thankful to still be able to heft a canoe onto the top of the Toyota and to be agile enough to not fall out of the thing on the water.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 56

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spent a couple hours this morning with the canoe and a couple vintage fly rods; hoping to generate some “inputs for the fish emulsion barrel”🙄
Actually it was just me screwing off; man cannot live by gardening alone! Before long the water will be hard and it was a great time of early morning respite!
It doesn’t matter to me if im in the garden or in the wild’s, creation is always awe inspiring! At 73 im thankful to still be able to heft a canoe onto the top of the Toyota and to be agile enough to not fall out of the thing on the water.

for me it was walking streams and fishing that i loved when i was up north. it didn't matter if i caught anything or not.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That’s where i’m at @flowerbug, and i feel sorta sorry for folks who don’t understand that thinking!

Being a Blue Bird day; i set up the trammel and screened the first compost of the season. These pictures will give you the idea, this thing is amazing, easy to operate, fast, clean did i mention amazing?
As beds become vacant, i can quickly set up and do one or a group of them till the compost is gone.

Looking at the second picture you see two distinct classification's of material. Any bed that will receive seed gets the fine stuff, screened thru .5 by .75 screen. Things like potatoes, asparagus etc can have the #2 stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That new onion bed got it’s portion of compost today. When me an Jackson showed up that bed had about 3 inches of free board. After raking, troweling, tilling and troweling again it looks like an inch and a half of compost was added. This is that good Rabbit poop compost and im excited for next years onions.

The 2nd load went on the asparagus and was worked around by hand, same quantity!

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 52

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And here’s some results. We ate the last two carrots from last years crop the other day so pulled a few of these. The Beets we’ve been using for a while.

👀 it’s too early to tell but once all the root stuff is in i’ll know whether to credit the electroculture antenna’s the tremendous rains we had all year, our soil building efforts, the Good Lord or all of the above?

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 67

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal, yes Ma-am, nothing leaves the farm! The bin to the left of this one has been receiving inputs thru-out the season, and in time will contain all the garden leftovers. When this sides empty the other one gets forked over to this side where it will continue to receive all the kitchen scraps and rabbit poop, bedding etc thru the winter. Next spring it starts all over.