One Alaskans greenhouse

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alasgun, I have a question for you. It relates only a little to your climate, pests, and what grows well there.

I have only recently learned that House Sparrows do not exist very far north in Alaska. Cornell's range map shows them way up in Edmonton, Alberta. I know that they are urban birds and wouldn't expect them in communities out in the tundra or forest but the range map leaves out some of the larger AK cities.

The sparrows eating my lettuce is not a good thing but they may do more good than harm. When I see them searching through plants that have aphid problems, I cheer them on!

Steve

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our little birds are Slate colored Junco’s, bug eating fools too and very friendly.

My “tub grow” is up and running now. Using a 7 ft tall by 50 inch wide cattle panel for the trellis this year! Over the years, i’ve grown a lot of produce in this derelict bathroom. Looking forward to a seamless transition from greenhouse cukes here in another 6 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpeg
    IMG_1195.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 82

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our little birds are Slate colored Junco’s, bug eating fools too and very friendly.

My “tub grow” is up and running now. Using a 7 ft tall by 50 inch wide cattle panel for the trellis this year! Over the years, i’ve grown a lot of produce in this derelict bathroom. Looking forward to a seamless transition from greenhouse cukes here in another 6 weeks.
I love this! Truly enterprising!!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Asparagus is ready for winter, having been wrapped with bird netting to support the ferns in the wind. At some point snow load will bring it all crashing down, leaving me a mess to deal with in the spring.
It did real well this year and we’re excited about next season! Check out the girth of some spears.

On the subject of winter; the raspberries, apples, cherries and mint will get a good dose of fish emulsion today and in another week or so the fruit will get a foliar feeding of Boron.
The garden fence was recently expanded to take in everything surrounding the greenhouse, combining 2 difficult to mow areas into one larger difficult to mow area. This gives me an opportunity to add another bed, which I'm debating.
The carport roof over the compost has proven to be a valuable upgrade, especially with the amount of rain we had this year. Before long i’ll set up the trammel and screen this years and move it up to the garden, where it will be distributed as the beds finish up and are cleared.
Thank you Lord, overall it’s been a good season!

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Very innovative!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And the Self Heal, a gallon BEFORE i clear cut those 4 plants for winter.
Now i’ve got a pile 3x3 ft. Wide and 6 inches deep on screens with fans. For as much ”matter” as these generate, i cant think of anything that will dry down as fast! I’m guessing theres another gallon on the screens.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1211.jpeg
    IMG_1211.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 66

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Each year i send folks home with potted mint to begin they’re own beds. This year i gave some folks an old trashy hanging basket full and told them “this is only a transport vehicle”. Now that it’s fall most Alaskans will return or re-distribute any wayward pots and my neighbor returned mine full of his version or good dirt. They have sheep so i thought it might be fine for my own winter mint pot. We always start one in the fall so we have fresh mint for soft tacos.
Anyway, i sorta dug in some runners and set it next to the cuke pot and within a week i’ve now got a good mushroom crop, that looks like it may compete with the mint! Knowing what i know about mushrooms i‘m pretty sure that pot is full of spore and “weeding” would be fruitless.
I believe i’ll start a second pot for my mint but im gonna let this go for a while and see what transpires. Might make some reallllllllly good tea?

The mint bed has lain pretty bare since i clear cut it 3 weeks ago. Now the comeback is like nothing i’ve ever seen. This is just about perfect going into winter; some spent hay and it’ll winter real well.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1219.jpeg
    IMG_1219.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 81

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Each year i send folks home with potted mint to begin they’re own beds. This year i gave some folks an old trashy hanging basket full and told them “this is only a transport vehicle”. Now that it’s fall most Alaskans will return or re-distribute any wayward pots and my neighbor returned mine full of his version or good dirt. They have sheep so i thought it might be fine for my own winter mint pot. We always start one in the fall so we have fresh mint for soft tacos.
Anyway, i sorta dug in some runners and set it next to the cuke pot and within a week i’ve now got a good mushroom crop, that looks like it may compete with the mint! Knowing what i know about mushrooms i‘m pretty sure that pot is full of spore and “weeding” would be fruitless.
I believe i’ll start a second pot for my mint but im gonna let this go for a while and see what transpires. Might make some reallllllllly good tea?

The mint bed has lain pretty bare since i clear cut it 3 weeks ago. Now the comeback is like nothing i’ve ever seen. This is just about perfect going into winter; some spent hay and it’ll winter real well.
I love growing mint! It has always done really well for me. I've grown peppermint and spearmint and they always get big and bushy! I make tea with the leaves and I also make these amazing hummus wraps with julienned fresh veggies and a few mint leaves on top! 😋

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That Celebrity is still kicking it! Tomorrow i cut the potato vines and put the fall cover over that bed.
I’ve added another raised bed and in between a zillion other projects; am getting the dirt hauled up to it. My beds contain 81 cubic ft. And i’ve filled them in an afternoon before but this one is the furthest me an Jackson have hauled before. Probably take me a couple days on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpeg
    IMG_1220.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts