One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is how it looks today, sun’s still pretty low on the horizon, this is at 3:00pm.
we gained 2 minutes today!

Attachments

• IMG_1914.jpeg
    IMG_1914.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 42

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cant eat them fast enough! Might have to make some pickles,🫣
I finally poked a couple of Bush Crop Cucumber seeds into large soil blocks yesterday Alasgun. Better late than not at all, right? The description says that they are great for growing in pots or small spaces, and that they are early and productive. With a little luck I will be knee-deep in cucumbers by mid-March! 😋

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The production has slowed but i’ll still be eating these into February; which is quite an extension of the season for us. We eat cuke every day! I’ll be sure to note when i pluck the last one as this will give me a goal to beat next winter 🤓. This one meets the breed standard at 14 X 2/12 inches and we believe the flavor improves when let go to full maturity.
And while im at it, i’ll mention it’s near zero F this week and im spending the days on an extension ladder clawing a couple feet of hard snow off the roof. At least what i can reach (6-8ft) back from the eve; with a landscape rake. I’ve learned that if i clean it back along the front edge what wee bit of daylight were getting starts working on it and it’ll go away faster.

Sure could use some of that Global Warming about now🤭

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpeg
    IMG_0757.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today i yarded a 32 gal brutte container full of blended soil out of the snow bank and into the shop. This is the left overs from a super soil batch i made last summer. Once it thaws it will become the base for my potting soil this year. Probably wont start all that until mid February.

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 34

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Due to our short season and the challenges that presents, a greenhouse is essential if you want to reliably grow some things up here.
we grow tomatoes, cucumbers, pole beans, bush beans, celery, parsley and summer squash in ours.
initially there were shelves around the sides and we placed smartpots on those shelves.
Well, pretty soon you’ve got everything jamming into the ceiling, making things difficult.
Last winter i upgraded by building the beds shown here. It accomplished a couple things beyond lowering the plants and now the irrigation is more user friendly, the crops have a deeper bed for a better root zone and it’s easier to maintain than with the bags. In the fall all the bags were dumped into brute containers and re-amended for the following year then the bags refilled each spring. Now i just apply the compost in the fall and walk away from it!

just some odd rambling here and a few pictures inside and out. In the spring it’s pretty loaded up till i move all the stuff on the sawhorses etc out to the beds. Then in short order it becomes it’s own jungle!😳
That's an amazing idea. I love your setup. I'm wanting to get something similar to yours but my husband doesn't like building anything.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a local contractor who specializes in utility sheds, green houses etc. I put the foundation in and when the crew showed to erect the greenhouse; 3 hours later it was done! You may have someone like this in your area then Hubby might be elated to get out of a project?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are nice looking cotyledons on each of my cucumbers now, and before long they will need to go downstairs to grow on under lights. I have a question for you please Alasgun: about how warm is it in the room where your bath tub cucumbers are growing?

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_114934371.jpg
    IMG_20240119_114934371.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 28

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are nice looking cotyledons on each of my cucumbers now, and before long they will need to go downstairs to grow on under lights. I have a question for you please Alasgun: about how warm is it in the room where your bath tub cucumbers are growing?
We keep the heat set at 65 and turn it down to 60 at night. However; with a pair of 4ft 4 tube T-5 lights running 16 hours a day, additional heat is generated. When the lights are on id say its roughly 70. The plants are in a 16 gallon fabric pot filled with FF Ocean forest or 707 potting soil. Both contain a lot of good stuff and i augment the nutrition with a solution i put together here. 6 parts fermented rabbit urine, 2 parts liquid kelp and 2 parts black strap molasses.

Latest posts