One Sunny Acre garden journal 2015

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, we've had 4 cloud-bursts today. My kids are at VBS this evening, so I was really hoping to get some stuff done outside, moving the chicken fences around to new pasture mostly. Last one sent me running for cover as I could hear it coming before it reached me. The 3 days before that were mostly dry with only a few sprinkles of rain. I still can't get in the garden. It's really starting to look irredeemable now. More weeds than there are plants.

IMGP9891_web.jpg

Good news, mama bluebird has hatched out 5 babies. She has been coming and going with food for them and the cat still won't dare come near. When they fledge, at least the tomato jungle will provide good cover for them!

IMGP9890b_web.jpg

Wanted to show you guys this cool tomato plant I am growing this year called "Smoky Mountain". It's has really neat silvery fuzz on the leaves. Aside from that novelty, I hope it will also be tasty and a keeper. DH and I honeymooned in the Smoky Mountains 12 years ago, so I like that name. :) Anyone grown it before?

IMGP9894_web.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a cool looking tomato! What type of fruit does it produce?
Sorry about your soggy summer. :( I hope it drys up in time for you to get a harvest.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
love the bluebird babies very interesting tomato plant be neat to see what it does produce.. sorry for all the rain and weeds....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My veggie garden paths were pure weeds after all our rain. Dh took the weedeater out there and cut the paths right down to the dirt. Looks perfect now. No way we could have pulled all those weeds by hand. Love the bluebirds!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been all over creation today and wore myself out. Really needed to be at home canning. But guess what I brought home with me... 6 Bourbon Red turkey poults! Found a fella about 10 minutes down the road from me who raises them. He was very enthusiastic talking about chickens and turkeys, very friendly couple. He said he'll have Cream Legbar chicks available next year, as well as a couple of other breeds. DH just said the other day he wanted to get some turkeys. Can't wait 'til he gets home so I can surprise him. :) (Although these are technically his turkeys, guess who will be taking care of them... :rolleyes:)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it can be hard to not get attached to them. Ava named most of the chicks we had this spring. Even though I told her many times not to get attached to the cockerels, she came out while we were processing them and tried to bargain for one that she particularly liked. I kept 2 roosters for my hens, but if my luck runs true, their days are numbered anyway. :p