One Sunny Acre garden journal 2015

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally got all of the potatoes dug up today. It was a very disappointing harvest. Planted 20 pounds of Kennebec and Red Pontiac and only got 40 or so back. The plants were so big and healthy. Not sure what happened. No voles this year at least.

Canned 12 quarts of super delicious chicken stock today and made Amish-style chicken and noodles for dinner. Yum! Also made a strawberry rhubarb pie with my own rhubarb. Waiting on it to come out of the oven here in a few minutes. :drool

I think I might have a little more rhubarb out there too. It was a cool summer mostly, and I have it planted in shade.

Still trying to get my hands on 2 bushels of peaches at a decent price... There's a few on my tree, mostly bug eaten, but I may be able to get one or two batches of jam out of them.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the years,next to cat poo, my all of my ranch working dogs ( Australian Shepherds, Australian Cattle dog, Kelpie, McNab, Rottwieler, Chihuahua [ good horse herder], and my purebred registered Boxers would consume foal poop with great gusto especially when the foals were first born and their only food was from mammas milk. :ep

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a good chuckle imagining chihuahuas herding horses, Bob. They are good at herding kids too, LOL.

On hikes, my dogs have always zeroed in on wild turkey poop. First they roll in it, then they eat it (unless I get to them first and holler.) :sick

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
For every one with a poop eater, thats the easiest way for them to pick up parasites. Wild birds are big carriers of Giardia and Coccidia.

Does Revolution kill those things too?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a good chuckle imagining chihuahuas herding horses, Bob. They are good at herding kids too, LOL.

On hikes, my dogs have always zeroed in on wild turkey poop. First they roll in it, then they eat it (unless I get to them first and holler.) :sick
Mon Chi Chi was dumped by someone at our ranch... she was the most mangious, flea infested , malnurished thing one could ever emagin. After some good baths, flea treatments, worming and good food, she rallied to become a very handsome 12 pound , already spayed female bundle of energy. She always wanted to work for her keep, so she would go around the horses that we wanted in from the pasture and start nipping at their heels. When the horses would kick out , it was always over her head due to her small size, but she always did her job. Her best job was as a foot warmer under the bed covers during the cold winters. Her fatal flaw was chasing after every cat that she ever saw, so one day she mimicked a pancake in the middle of the road. :hit

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@journey11 you ever do peach butter? We did that when we had peach trees at the old house peaches. Was nice to simply use the slow cooker vs another pot on the stove to fuss over. Another batch of jam just didn't appeal to me after all the other fruit we'd made.

Besides it's SOOOOO GOOD! :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 you ever do peach butter? We did that when we had peach trees at the old house peaches. Was nice to simply use the slow cooker vs another pot on the stove to fuss over. Another batch of jam just didn't appeal to me after all the other fruit we'd made.

Besides it's SOOOOO GOOD! :D

I usually do some up as jam and freeze the rest to put in oatmeal. I did can some one year, but they get eaten up so fast, kids (and DH) eat them like candy.

Latest posts