Ouch! Final chapter!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Just make sure that the insurance adjustor doesn't screw you over. I think they go to a special school to learn to be mean and miserly.
If your truck is still useable you can usually get your settlement and then buy it back from the insurance company at a fraction of its value.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got "educated" when our son hit a deer with his truck. They totaled it because the airbags went off. They gave him only about two thirds of it's worth. He ended up being only able to buy a vehicle five years older and with 100,000 more miles on it. It was December and there wasn't a lot to pick from in the winter. We were told months later that you don't have to accept the first figure they give you, you can haggle with them.

Sometimes it's so expensive being dumb!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a very unpleasant experience with an adjustor when an intoxicated 17 year old girl left the road at a high speed, crashed through a pine tree, totalled my DH's rodeo, my FIL's Volvo, crashed through our garage, totaled my DH's completely restored 55 Chevy, and 3 motorcycles. (plus totalling her car, which wasn't our problem) Trying to get reimbursed for all that stuff was a nightmare. Among other issues, he only counted the 55 Chevy for it's age, not the restoration. By the way, the teenage girl walked away without a scratch. :/

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your trailer! Glad you were injured, but I just hate when you finally get something that works really good for you then you suddenly can't use it! :somad

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good grief, so lucky! What a horrible experience. I think that girl should change her name to so lucky!! All that damage and not a scratch- crazy!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh no! That was such a nice little trailer and you *just* got it! Very glad to hear you weren't injured, just take deep breaths when dealing with the insurance people and it will all be over eventually. -Wendy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds as tho' you are getting thru this with your head up, Thistle'.

Good for you and thankfully, you were not injured.

First you organize so as to be efficient. Then accidents may happen. There's so much risk in life and enterprise. But, if one doesn't organize, nothing good ever seems to happen, unless it's by accident too.

Here is Wishing You the Best, in putting it all back together.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The silver lining Lesa mentioned is that I'm staying home until Wed. when I have to take the truck and trailer into town for the adjustor to go over. It's a guilty pleasure, but I'm going to enjoy it, doggone it! :p

Haven't heard from the other guys adjustor yet, so I'll have to see how my schedule will shift with those arrangements.

I'll miss a week or, hopefully, less, of income, and I'll probably be in traction from catching up next week, but right now I'm getting a lot done here.
And, really, I'm not sitting on the "puter. I just have to check my email constantly for info from the two ins. co.'s.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Thistle, I'm so sorry. That little trailer took so much love and work to build. Is there any way your husband can fix it or does he have to build a new one?

It seems that with accidents and insurance, you never come ahead. My daughter's Honda was totalled and what she got back wasn't enough to cover and get a comparable one. Now she's stuck with payments.

You know, maybe that little trailer saved your life or from serious injury. Thank your husband for building it!

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only time I know of anyone actually coming out OK in the accident and insurance deals, is when the hit-ee's (as opposed to hitter) car is an old clunker. My oldest son had an old car he paid about $500 for. When someone hit him and totalled the car, he received a check for $1500, which was the supposed value of the car. He didn't get injured at all, so at least it was all good in that instance.

Latest posts