Over Night At Vet

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky I laughed out loud. I remember him not wanting a dog. One of my clients spent $30,000 last year treating cancer in their 3 year old golden. A year later cancer is back and they will start treatment again. What blows me away is what people will pay to rent a house for summer in Hamptons $50,000 to $100,000 just for summer.

:thI live in a very low cost area. The prices (rich) city people pay for stuff just blows my mind.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's definitely subjective...I love my dogs but I'd not pay more than a hundred and change for any medical care for either one of them. Anything more than that and I'd just put them down, particularly my older dog...he's had a great life but it doesn't have to be drawn out until the quality is no longer great. They aren't family, they are just really good dogs. If I didn't need them for the job they do here, I'd likely not have dogs at all.

Cats? I couldn't see myself spending any money on the cats...they die too easily in these parts. Same with chickens...they are food, so no heroic measures to save a chicken either.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me it is age. I will do and spend a lot more on a younger pet then one in it's teens. I have seen vet make people feel guilty for not doing surgery on 14/15 year old dogs. They use the line with surgery they can live another 2 years without a few months.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me it is age. I will do and spend a lot more on a younger pet then one in it's teens. I have seen vet make people feel guilty for not doing surgery on 14/15 year old dogs. They use the line with surgery they can live another 2 years without a few months.

They do that with people too....cancer is a multibillion dollar business all based on fear, so the docs promise things they can't deliver to get people to consent to the costly treatments, care and surgeries they dangle in front of people as a way to extend life. As a nurse, I've worked both ends of that game...oncology and in hospice. The quality of that life extension~if there ever is such a thing for any given patient~is so incredibly poor as to be worse than the death they are trying to avoid.

The vets are just tuning into that money source. Over on BYC, there are people spending $130 every 4 mo. to have hormone implants placed in their chickens so they won't lay eggs and run into reproductive issues. And they are doing this for years.

Folks think of doctors/vets as noble, caring and life saving people but most often they are just people trying to make a living and most don't care how they have to do it, they didn't get into that business to just scrape by.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do that with people too....cancer is a multibillion dollar business all based on fear, so the docs promise things they can't deliver to get people to consent to the costly treatments, care and surgeries they dangle in front of people as a way to extend life. As a nurse, I've worked both ends of that game...oncology and in hospice. The quality of that life extension~if there ever is such a thing for any given patient~is so incredibly poor as to be worse than the death they are trying to avoid.

The vets are just tuning into that money source. Over on BYC, there are people spending $130 every 4 mo. to have hormone implants placed in their chickens so they won't lay eggs and run into reproductive issues. And they are doing this for years.

Folks think of doctors/vets as noble, caring and life saving people but most often they are just people trying to make a living and most don't care how they have to do it, they didn't get into that business to just scrape by.
Why do they not want their chickens to lay eggs?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because they are afraid that they will eventually experience reproductive issues as they age, resulting in death, so they are trying to prevent this by preventing any laying at all.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
... but, but, but...
Their bodies are DESIGNED to lay eggs. Having all those parts NOT doing what they are supposed to do is what WILL cause issues.
They'd be better off finding a vet who will 'spay' a chicken...
sFun_duh2.gif

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So the chickens are just there? Doing nothing? Oh wait, at least they're producing poop for the garden. Still not enough for me to justify the cost of feed. I need to have eggs! lol

Mary

Latest posts