Pallet Chicken Coop....going up UPDATED: 11/28

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Said it before, but this time I mean it......I think. After reading posts on the chicken-sister sight, have put up 1X4 heavy wire around the bottom to "backup" the chicken wire and a net top (smart enough to take other's advice). So here is the final project picture....I promise.

6615_1206.jpg

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
You are building beautiful memories for her Boggy. Have you considered painting it in real fun cutsy colors? I bet she would love it and it would look like a little playhouse. Maybe in the spring when it gets warmer?

Mary
I think you're right, Mary. She sure is loving it. She wants to paint it and we just might do it come spring. It was really cold, for down here, yesterday and she stayed in the coop with the chickens ALL afternoon. LOL

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you are smart to reinforce it, boggy. You really don't want to explain missing chickens, to that little cutie! Painting it would be a very fun idea. Sounds like a great spring project for you two! By then you'll have to add on, for the extra chickens she'll want!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes, I was thinking a top was most important! Those nasty hawks wouldn't think twice to swoop in, and swoop out with lunch!

I've cried over my loss of birds to a bird! :(

Sstevemichael

Sprout
Reaction score
chicken coop plans

Many individuals ask myself all the time what the best hen house plan tend to be. this i will go over the chicken coop ideas which i think you'll enjoy. You will find easy to use and come several hen house designs. In case you are only would like a few right up until eventually 4 poultry you will find tiny pens, 7 untill eight you can find medium dimension houses and even fifty more you'll need huge coop.

Below some tips you need to remember before build your coop

Whenever making the hen house, you will also wish to spot gates the location the place that the hens sit on their particular eggs. This will make the gathering associated with ova a simple process and you may not need to disrupt the hens to get.

Make certain you've provided adequate protection against predators in your area. Slide bolts and simple locks are no match for a raccoon that smells chicken. Raccoons are smart and you may need to consider a padlock or other complex lock to keep them out. Hope the tips can help you.

Learn about how to get free chicken coop plan. just visit free chicken coop plans

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I've had chickens for 6 years now. I started with one White Leghorn hen. She passed away at 2yo. I bought a clutch of 6, 5 were roosters which I sold (at auction) and one was a hen. I kept her until last Fall. I bought 10 at the local farm supply store during "Chick Days." Got several free roosters in the fall of 2010. Bred one to my laying hens and, after eating all of the young roosters from 3 incubated clutches, I now have 2 roosters (unrelated, raised together, and they don't fight) and 13 laying hens. I replaced ALL of my breeding birds, who went to freezer camp and my table--YUMM!!
I suggest you go to the sister site, Back Yard Chickens. I've been to the Free Chicken Coop link and you have to buy most of the good plans. The free plans are complicated. BYC is BUSY (understatement) with >100K members, BUT, be patient in your searches and there is LOTS of good advice there. I studied and got my "chicken degree" there!
Post Script: Don't name what you plan to eat!!

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I've had chickens for 6 years now. I started with one White Leghorn hen. She passed away at 2yo. I bought a clutch of 6, 5 were roosters which I sold (at auction) and one was a hen. I kept her until last Fall. I bought 10 at the local farm supply store during "Chick Days." Got several free roosters in the fall of 2010. Bred one to my laying hens and, after eating all of the young roosters from 3 incubated clutches, I now have 2 roosters (unrelated, raised together, and they don't fight) and 13 laying hens. I replaced ALL of my breeding birds, who went to freezer camp and my table--YUMM!!
I suggest you go to the sister site, Back Yard Chickens. I've been to the Free Chicken Coop link and you have to buy most of the good plans. The free plans are complicated. BYC is BUSY (understatement) with >100K members, BUT, be patient in your searches and there is LOTS of good advice there. I studied and got my "chicken degree" there!
Post Script: Don't name what you plan to eat!!
I learned to stop naming the eggs long ago. :/

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of these days I'm going to get some chickens. What breed has the quietest roosters?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, you may want to think about NOT having them.

Fertile eggs & day-old chicks are readily available most everywhere. They are even shipped around the US by the postal service.

I have had many years with chickens out of the last 35+ but haven't had a rooster since the 1970's. It isn't that I don't miss some of those roos. It's just that I haven't been where I thought they would be welcomed by the neighbors.

Steve

Latest posts