Panic attacks

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the wonderful doctor treatment did not last. I have been to 2 different ones and the one I like and his advice of learning to breath correctly, and have happy thoughts is not the answer. My brother just looks at me and says I will be like our dad and have clogged arteries and a heart attack and he does all these jumping jacks, pushups, vitamins and so I said yes, I agree. I need to exercise, lose weight, have happy thoughts, but I AM CHOKING and not short of breath., so I went to a different chiropractor and he checked to see when I choked if my oxygen level changed, or had any skipped heart beats. He listed to my carotid arteries also with a stethoscope and no bruits. Everything sounded fine, but he could mess with my neck and make my throat do the choking thing. He wants to look at my x-rays Monday. I went Friday and had no choking during the day or night since going to him Friday afternoon. I can feel my neck get tired and start to pull and he had me using ice 20 on and 40 off and it seems to help. Can't wait to see what he thinks of the x-rays, but he said he knows the problem and fixed the one, but I am not sure how often I will have to be treated or what exercise needs to be done, and hopefully the other thing he is wondering about is not there. The hiatal hernia is gone. No anxiety, no breathing problems. I have started to eat again and have appetite, but I have lost 13.8 pounds from eating lots of salads and stir fry meals. DS has been coughing and sinus infection for over a month and went to doctor and taking antibiotics. Food tasted bad, coffee, everything smelled bad, so he has been eating light and eating light meals like me and he has lost a few pounds, but this morning is the first morning his coffee and breakfast tasted normal and, so he is on the mend.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits,

was DS taking zinc supplements? i'm glad you are at least getting some temporary relief. hope you have much more good information soon and help too. :)

Yes, DS was taking zinc. He seems to be over it. No coughing or headache. The chiropractor looked at my x-rays. He was looking for any kind of mass around thyroid that would cause choking and nothing there. My C5 is really messed up. I asked from wear and tear or injury. He said this was a blow to the head or neck. All I can think of is hitting the window a few years ago. Something about C6 he is going to work on and take pressure off of C5. I have a problem with my shoulder and back. He should be able to fix that. I slept well last night. I do not have a happy I am fixed feeling. I am better and hopefully this week will go well. Thank you for asking. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, DS was taking zinc. He seems to be over it. No coughing or headache. The chiropractor looked at my x-rays. He was looking for any kind of mass around thyroid that would cause choking and nothing there. My C5 is really messed up. I asked from wear and tear or injury. He said this was a blow to the head or neck. All I can think of is hitting the window a few years ago. Something about C6 he is going to work on and take pressure off of C5. I have a problem with my shoulder and back. He should be able to fix that. I slept well last night. I do not have a happy I am fixed feeling. I am better and hopefully this week will go well. Thank you for asking. :)

the zinc supplement might be why the taste changed, that can happen for some people.

good to hear! :)

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found going to Yoga classes helped- breathing exercises along with the physical ones and then learning about meditation. I do my stretchy exercises and meditation before I get out of bed in the morning. Does mean I need to set my alarm about an hour early, but I am used to it now.
I still wake up for some reason at 2am but now most of the time I can get back to sleep. If not, a cup of Chamomile tea with no sugar or honey seems to work.

I found it interesting that somebody else had a head/neck injury. Mine was from a trampoline accident as a kid. It was only 8 years ago that an Osteopath manged to crunch my neck more in line, so at least I dont have the migraines anymore.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found going to Yoga classes helped- breathing exercises along with the physical ones and then learning about meditation. I do my stretchy exercises and meditation before I get out of bed in the morning. Does mean I need to set my alarm about an hour early, but I am used to it now.
I still wake up for some reason at 2am but now most of the time I can get back to sleep. If not, a cup of Chamomile tea with no sugar or honey seems to work.

I found it interesting that somebody else had a head/neck injury. Mine was from a trampoline accident as a kid. It was only 8 years ago that an Osteopath manged to crunch my neck more in line, so at least I dont have the migraines anymore.

i'm glad that helped migraines are such misery! my neck stuff comes from the motorcycle wipeout. when i visit the chirpractor he gets it moving again if it is getting stiff again. i was just there last week because i finally decided i was done for the season working outside and that it was a good time for him to adjust my hips and lower back again before the winter gets going. things tighten up with the cold, i can feel it coming on so i know when to go visit him. while i'm there he does the whole spine. it is interesting to me that i can feel changes in how my face/sinuses feel.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel that I have a little bit of a reason to respond.

Misaligned vertebrae? Well, maybe - certainly in the lower back but I don't think in the neck. I do have less flexibility in the neck than years ago. Something that I have noticed over the years is how osteoarthritis (I assume) shows up in various locations to sometimes painful, restricting-movement levels. And then, subsides. This was most recently noticed in my "good" leg, which had troubled me for several years and reached a point earlier this year where I was having real, real trouble rising from bed and walking! Then, it rather quickly turned during this summer to a more normal condition. Normal, as in about 3 or 4 years ago. Why? Well exercise helped but I was getting plenty of exercise during summer 2018 when things didn't improve. This is only one of the "come and go" joint problems - most often, these problems have been in thumb, wrist, elbow, shoulder locations. I think that I'm becoming acquainted with old-age-arthritis.

Breathing. I have had a chronic cough since a bad cold and then pneumonia last winter. After x-rays and C-scans (both sinuses and lungs), the radiologist decided that I may have a cough because I have a cough .......... or! I have a swallowing problem. Okay, I was in the dark as to what might be done if I do but it has occurred to me that there may be some sort of a surgical remedy. I'm unsure if I want to take that route but will schedule some kind of swallowing test. Honestly, I think that they are right and being treated for asthma has not worked.

So, I went back to using Zicam for about 10 days, now. The nasal spray really helped stave off a cold some time ago, or so I thought then. It doesn't seem to be doing much for me right now. I want to caution against something - Zicam was named for a zinc nasal spray that they first marketed. A successful class-action lawsuit was brought against the company because some people lost their sense of smell. I guess it was permanent. This new formula doesn't have zinc in it but they have tablets that do. I'm not saying that zinc is dangerous but that there are risks to supplements. In fact, I recently read that ALL foods (foods!) have certain undesirable compounds/elements that can damage the body. A healthy body usually just dodges the toxin and moves it on out. No harm, no foul.

That is a look at some of the physical problems that I am having. Add to them, there is depression because of my father's difficulties, his death, and our relationship over the last year or two. Together with the bout of pneumonia and my own "advancing" age ... Oh Boy, I think that I better be looking at some Glowing Green Life, Happy Dog Gifs, Get Some Exercise, Make Some Plans, Pay Attention to a Good Diet ... take care of myself! Mom and Dad would want me to do that. And, your Mom and Dad would want that for you, too!

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ Steve,
Sounds like a trip to a good chiropractor or Osteopath would be a good idea. Its surprising how many other little things get sorted out when your spine is back in alignment. Think pinched nerves, muscles being dragged on cos the bones not in the right place.
It did wonders to my energy level, have to say though, so too did knocking all junk food/packaged food, soft drinks, cakes etc.... and actually eating real food. I also noticed that when I started mainly eating my home grown organic, fruit, vegies, making my own cheese.....I didnt eat so much before I felt nice and full.
I wonder sometimes, if our anxieties are caused or made worse by the fact that commercially grown food is not growing in a healthy soil on top of all the icides that get poured onto the land and crops.

When I started trying to grow my own mushrooms, that was the only reason. Since actually studying the subject, I've come to the conclusion that they play a vital role in ensuring the soil is healthy and so, the plants that grow in it are.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's possible. Bacteria in our gut actually have a lot to do with mood, weight, and of course immunity. A study done in mice found that if you take lines of mice bred to be aggressive/passive, remove the bacteria from their digestive tract, and replace it with bacteria from the opposite line, those mice will act passive/aggressive.

Some interesting studies:
Bacteria and depression:
Sadness:
Brain function:
Weight loss:

In fact, recently I saw an interesting article about how people and animals are getting fatter. Everyone, including lab animals with strictly controlled diets. They think its because we're losing bacteria that help keep us fit. I'll look around for it.

The more you process food, the fewer bacteria you're going to have--both good and bad.

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been too many, many, many chiropractors growing up. I never saw a medical doctor until I was about 19 when I had an infection in my hand and needed antibiotics. There are different kinds and I knew that I had something wrong that most likely an ordinary chiropractor would not fix and the first 2 did not. This last chiropractor I chose has been one for 35 years. He has been around the world traveling and has worked on actors, Olympian athletes, Princes and Princesses in other countries. I am not sure what it is called that he does, but he looked at my x-rays and listened to my symptoms and listened good, and told me what he thinks needs to be done. The first doctor thinking it is emotional, anxiety, need to breathe and relax was wrong. Yes, once I am having my throat close and not breathing right then I am having anxiety, but not the other way around. I have been going 3 times a week. Friday after going I was normal all day, slept at night, got up Saturday and went to Costco and Winco, washed dishes, cooked supper and I was fine. Kind of getting stiff in neck and shoulders, so I used an ice pack. I slept all night and this morning I am fine and going to church in a bit. I have 3 places he is working 2 in neck and 1 in back. The head injury I do not think is causing the major problems. I misunderstood what he said. I have a place at the C1-C2 and it has to do with your brain stem and breathing. When I am breathing wrong, it is a nerve causing it. This even caused me to lose my appetite, no hunger and also no getting up at night to go to the bathroom, even if my cat woke me up to go out, I just went back to bed. I am back to normal with all that. My son-in-law goes to a different chiropractor with migraines and he was told to stand while doing computer work. Our heads bending forward all the time is causing a lot of problems and I have been typing for a living for almost 20 years and then recently took up sewing. I listened to the chiropractor's wife talk to an elderly patient. He walked in with a cane and she said you do not have your walker anymore. I will start going less to him, but I will need to learn to be careful with how i hold my head and may start standing to type, but I am going to ask him about exercise that may help.

I have so many crazy symptoms that other doctors would say are anxiety, but he listened and he said that between your ribs you have nerves and mine are all irritated. Sometime with my neck, my shoulder, and between my shoulder blades. The reason I was not hungry and going to the bathroom correctly and breathing oddly, and I can feel like a fluttering in my ribs and sometimes my chest. He said it is neurological. He ordered some vitamins for me. I found the reviews on Amazon interesting about anxiety, depression, in the comments. I am not depressed, even though I have been through a lot, but was getting kind of down thinking all the time about breathing. I have not tried these yet, but it will be interesting to see, although I am a lot better already. Tylenol would stop some of the crazy feelings. I will let you know how this works on me. https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Process-Min-Chex-Emotional-Supplement/dp/B00KEF0VJQ

Latest posts