Peppers 2023

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those are beautiful peppers! They remind me a little of Weaver's Stuffing Mennonites.

Here's a pic of last years Osmarsko's
20221007_152426.jpg

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am trying to determine just how appealing pepper plants are to deer. What I am finding online suggests that they tend to leave peppers alone. Has anyone grown pepper plants in a garden with deer?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am trying to determine just how appealing pepper plants are to deer. What I am finding online suggests that they tend to leave peppers alone. Has anyone grown pepper plants in a garden with deer?

no, i've never been willing to risk it. even if they didn't like them in particular they still may end up trampling them while trying to get at other plants. when i only have a few plants, each one is important.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
no, i've never been willing to risk it. even if they didn't like them in particular they still may end up trampling them while trying to get at other plants. when i only have a few plants, each one is important.
That is kind of my thoughts as well. We have a gap between the skirting of our manufactured home and the retaining wall that surrounds it. I think could be a nice warm spot with a fair amount of radiant heat for pepper plants; might just try them there, out of harms way.🦌

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is kind of my thoughts as well. We have a gap between the skirting of our manufactured home and the retaining wall that surrounds it. I think could be a nice warm spot with a fair amount of radiant heat for pepper plants; might just try them there, out of harms way.🦌

as long as it isn't being presented to them at about salad bar height. :) i'm not sure if they are protected at all by the retaining wall or not... good luck. you would be being braver than i. :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good point flowerbug-- it would indeed resemble a salad bar. A cover of Reemay may be in order. The critters seems to leave crops alone once the row cover is in place; perhaps an out of sight, out of mind kind of thing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a few days ago someone gave me two Hot Sugar pepper plants but i've already got all the space inside the fence planted so these two plants are going to be experimental deer fodder to see what happens with them. they were planted yesterday in the North Garden so deer do wander through there at times (last year the deer ate almost all of my bean plants from that garden) and we'll see if they chew on them much. otherwise they may get trampled.

most of what i have planted in there this season has been onions.

i'm not having much luck finding anything specific about these pepper plants so if you happen to have a pointer or first-hand experience with these i'll be happy to hear from you. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
so far all the pepper plants are still alive and the few outside the fence are not yet trampled or eaten. only one plant in particular is struggling a bit but that is my fault for how i planted it so i know not to make that mistake next time. in the green peppers we already have one pepper that is already getting big, i guess i missed that flower when planting... :)