Peppers 2023

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Drat--- mold hidden inside the small peppers had not crossed my mind. I will cut them in half to see how they look-- and there are still more peppers out in the garden, so the next batch will be halved right from the start.

I really appreciate these suggestions Zeedman, and I have added them to my notes for growing peppers. Thank you!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Zeedman I followed those instruction last year for all my little peppers and it worked like a charm. Just great. I will probably slice them open and do the same this year, for the littles. We do have some bothersome vinegar flies around again who hover over the open fruits and annoy the heck out of me, that'd be something to contend with I guess even though I'm setting traps regularly.

I totally forgot about my shampoo for burning hands revelation from last year, and when I processed my first burning batch weeks ago, I used no gloves. It seemed okay. At that moment. An hour later I was washing in petroleum distillate (several times, because isn't petroleum a universal solvent?? apparently not) and only slight temporary relief. Then I tried that powdered eco orange cleaner. Nope. Checked out Martha Stewart and found some good advice. Rubbed hands vigorously with coconut oil for 2 minutes, and that bought me an hour of relief. 2nd round I did the 2 minute oil, and then did a 2 minute sugar scrub. It hurt to do it, but that really brought some more permanent relief. Only one more flare up that night and the burn was gone. Stellar exfoliation too.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should not laugh at another's pain.
:lol:
Bad zeedman (slaps self) :smack

I only laugh because I've been there, done that. It's even worse if you make the mistake of using the bathroom while contaminated. 😭

Gloves = an ounce of prevention = a pound of cure (or a quart+ of lotion).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only laugh because I've been there, done that. It's even worse if you make the mistake of using the bathroom while contaminated. 😭

Gloves = an ounce of prevention = a pound of cure (or a quart+ of lotion).

with capsaicin the burn only lasts for a while with poison ivy the itch is a gift that keeps on giving...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see you taking up plants and examining roots. Do you ever keep plants overwintered somehow or do you just start seed early due to the slower growth?
If that was addressed to me, I pull the plants up to either hang them or store them on my patio, to allow all peppers to ripen. Plants too large to pull up easily are cut off at ground level. Kept in a sheltered location, the peppers are still able to draw a small amount of strength from the plants. Although I may glance at the roots, I don't expect to find anything wrong on healthy plants. The roots are only facing upward in the photo because the plants would tip over if stood up on the roots. :D

No, I've not yet over-wintered any peppers, for reasons I've given here recently. Too problematic, due to almost inevitable pest infestations. Over-wintering is not necessary either, since I can get ripe peppers from most pepper varieties using transplants. Peppers in the C. frutescens species (such as tobasco and habanero) are both slower growing & more tolerant of artificial light, so I start those about 2-3 weeks earlier than C. annuum peppers. I've only grown one C. baccatum pepper ("Aji Cristal") which required no special handling, but others in that species might also need to be started extra early. Both species are more tolerant of artificial light than C. annuum.

If I ever choose to grow peppers over the winter, it would be a C. pubescens pepper like Manzano. Peppers of that species are long season (possibly photo-period sensitive) and won't mature outside in my latitude. Those would be strictly house plants, to avoid any possibility of being infected by pests outside .

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Zeedman I followed those instruction last year for all my little peppers and it worked like a charm. Just great. I will probably slice them open and do the same this year, for the littles. We do have some bothersome vinegar flies around again who hover over the open fruits and annoy the heck out of me, that'd be something to contend with I guess even though I'm setting traps regularly.

I totally forgot about my shampoo for burning hands revelation from last year, and when I processed my first burning batch weeks ago, I used no gloves. It seemed okay. At that moment. An hour later I was washing in petroleum distillate (several times, because isn't petroleum a universal solvent?? apparently not) and only slight temporary relief. Then I tried that powdered eco orange cleaner. Nope. Checked out Martha Stewart and found some good advice. Rubbed hands vigorously with coconut oil for 2 minutes, and that bought me an hour of relief. 2nd round I did the 2 minute oil, and then did a 2 minute sugar scrub. It hurt to do it, but that really brought some more permanent relief. Only one more flare up that night and the burn was gone. Stellar exfoliation too.
I save the plastic gloves that I use when I color my hair at home. They often have no holes, and are supposed to be one use only, anyway.
I have harvested with these before.
I feel for you!! :hugs:hugs:hugs

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I save the plastic gloves that I use when I color my hair at home. They often have no holes, and are supposed to be one use only, anyway.
I have harvested with these before.
I feel for you!! :hugs:hugs:hugs
Yes! I have one blue latex type glove left and next time I'm using it. I know if I work too long with it on the heat will go right through, but I can stay safe if I stay under the one hour mark I think.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Meager sweet pepper harvest...better than NUTHIN'!!! :gig:gig:gig

Attachments

• Sweet pepper harvest, 10-25-23.jpg
    Sweet pepper harvest, 10-25-23.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 56