Peppers for next year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can grow banana, jalapeño, gypsy, and any hot peppers. bells are VERY inconsistent-last year off of 12 plants, got about 12 peppers. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Question 2-what varieties of peppers do you like and favorite variety.

Tell me about Italian peppers as they have my interest.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can grow banana, jalapeño, gypsy, and any hot peppers. bells are VERY inconsistent-last year off of 12 plants, got about 12 peppers. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Question 2-what varieties of peppers do you like and favorite variety.

Tell me about Italian peppers as they have my interest.
Do you buy plants or start them? Purchased plants are not mature enough to produce much before frost. I plan to start my peppers pretty soon. I get a great harvest from my own plants. They need rich soil also. I adore Big Berthas for their stuffing size.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buy. Never had a lot of problems till last year. I blamed it on the cold summer but some 30 miles south of me had them running out of their ears

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with "sweet pickle peppers" from Parks? Remind me of XMas or bouquet peppers that Dad used to grow. They were beautiful but his were HOT. These are suppose to b sweet.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I seem to always have issues with getting good product from bell pepper plants as well.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once I tried Marconi's I quickly gave up on bells. Those marconi's produce tons of huge peppers, on fairly small plants. Usually able to freeze 20 plus pounds, from a dozen plants. We eat plenty during the season too. A greenhouse nearby grows them. I have never dared to try pepper seeds...too cheap to buy the heating mat!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My fridge has a cabinet over it and my seed starting boxes don't fit.
Wah! My water heater is also unusable for seed starting as the plumbing comes out the top. :\

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, where else in a house would be warm?......Kitchen cabinets have soffits? Older TV? Behind the desk top computer? Above an incandescent light that stays on? (Am I grabbing at threads here?)

Latest posts