Peppers for next year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, where else in a house would be warm?......Kitchen cabinets have soffits? Older TV? Behind the desk top computer? Above an incandescent light that stays on? (Am I grabbing at threads here?)

Keep thinking So Lucky!
One year I put them inside the cupboard over the fridge but that turned out to be a pain. I had to take all the junk out of that cupboard! Then stand on a stool to peer in at them every day until they sprouted.
The next year I used my Christmas light sweater box. Works great for me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to grow a variety, but jalapenos and hot banana peppers are a staple each year for canning and stuffing. I like the Giant Red Marconi for roasting or for eating fresh. They are really sweet and I found them easy to grow and bountiful. I'll grow a few hot peppers like Cayenne, Serrano (my favorite for cooking spice), chiles, but find I don't have to grow them every year because only two plants will generate enough to cook on for a couple years in a row.

I've had some good years with bells since I started fertilizing with epsom salts in addition to 10-10-10. I guess they must be heavy feeders. I put some down and mix in at planting (can't say how much per plant, just toss a little handful to each spot) and side dress again a few weeks later and I also mulch for water retention. The best peppers come on in the early fall, when the heat starts to back off.

I grew paprika peppers (2 kinds, one spicy, one sweet) this summer. I had to dry them in the dehydrator, but it still came out way better than store-bought paprika.

I'm going to grow Thai Chiles and habaneros for my BIL next summer as he requested. He eats hot peppers every day and has no taste buds, lol. And I am going to do Anaheim Chiles to can for diced green peppers since we use a lot of those too.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grow sweet bananas, hot bananas, and jalapeños for canning too. They always do well for me.

My bells are always a roll of the dice too. Sometimes I get a handful of them per plant and others I get 2.

I figured my season was a bit short to get the proper development on bells because they take forever it seems but Cat's right the plants they sell are never very mature.

Good go know about the Marconi peppers. @journey11 do you have a color preference?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow sweet bananas, hot bananas, and jalapeños for canning too. They always do well for me.

My bells are always a roll of the dice too. Sometimes I get a handful of them per plant and others I get 2.

I figured my season was a bit short to get the proper development on bells because they take forever it seems but Cat's right the plants they sell are never very mature.

Good go know about the Marconi peppers. @journey11 do you have a color preference?

I like to wait until the Marconis turn red, but you can use them green too. I like all kinds of peppers whatever their color, as long as they are not too hot. They say people's taste buds perceive the heat of the Capsaicin differently. It's not that some people are braver...they just don't register the heat as much. My BIL once picked up a fresh jalapeno from I basket I had picked, took a big bite out of it and said it had no heat at all. o_O

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I've had to do the same, keep them warm and not over water.

At our high desert place where we do most of our growing, the tomatoes love the high alkaline clayish soil, but the peppers hate it. I carry duff from the Sierra spread to form soil they like.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just don't know how they could be any better, or more satisfying to grow, than the red. But I'm always willing to be proven wrong!

Latest posts