Peppers for next year.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
has anyone tried growing either New Ace, Lady Bell or Peacework? i'm thinking of making an order through FedCoSeeds and they show these take about 62-75 days for these 3 types.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH , I have not but they make sense for my garden, too. I've grown King of the North that is noted as a Peacework parent. Interesting collaboration behind the breeding of that pepper :).

The good foliage cover sounds good. I'm tired of seeing sunscald on my peppers.

Setting fruit in cold weather would also be important. I think that could be a problem with misshapen fruit, as well.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, take a page from my 7 year old grandson's school experiment and use lots of compost and heavy fertilizer to increase pepper plant size and more leaves on the plants. Should decrease sunscald ! :D
@Chickie'sMomaInNH , I have not but they make sense for my garden, too. I've grown King of the North that is noted as a Peacework parent. Interesting collaboration behind the breeding of that pepper :).

The good foliage cover sounds good. I'm tired of seeing sunscald on my peppers.

Setting fruit in cold weather would also be important. I think that could be a problem with misshapen fruit, as well.

Steve

ld !

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
King of the North indeed does well, consistently.

It should be my standard but I sometimes have good pepper years and will be misled by other bells.

Peppers always have an early struggle in my garden because of our cool spring weather. I think that they would really benefit from potting up to a good-sized container and a delayed setting out into the open garden until nearly July. I don't want to mess with them through the entire growing season in pots but maybe just stalling for summertime would be a good thing.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peace works? What is special about that?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heritage and who was doing the breeding seems unique to me.

It could be that Fedco and people in Maine didn't play a part but here's what that seed outfit has to say:

". . . King of the North and Early Red Sweet in its parentage. Each small plant in our observation plot vine-ripened about 6 medium-thick-walled peppers with good flavor and full-bodied sweetness. A product of farmer-breeder collaboration starring CSA-grower Elizabeth Henderson and her team at Peacework Farm in cooperation with the Organic Seed Partnership, the California Pepper Commission and university breeders, Peacework is a stabilized open-pollinated variety. Seed from this variety is sold under license and a portion of the proceeds go to support public vegetable breeding at Cornell University."

?

I mean, this is one, small pepper plant with how many parents ..? From one coast to the other ..?

:) Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I read that too & I saw what made you wonder. It's something and had me scratching my head about it after reading that too.

I wonder how much of an improvement it is. Is the goal more peppers? Just wondering where they were going with Peacework.

Latest posts