Pet Peeves

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
people dialing the wrong phone # and insisting they called the right # and that person has to be there. or better yet where i work in insurance there is a switchboard line that doctors & hospitals call to get through to a huge carrier & this is supposed to direct them to the right insurance company by just asking for the 3 letters on the ID card. well, it's automated & can't understand some of the letters so it sticks it in our phone queue & then cllers get angry thinking we are the 'right' company they dialed & insistent on this. when we give the caller the right # they get even more upset they get the run around. :idunnocan't help you if you can't understand much English & can't deviate from a script to understand you didn't get the right ph# you were looking for.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know that I have a lot of pet peeves. I kind of agree with @baymule I expect people to do stupid self-centered things so it's not so much aggravation as pity. I just think "Wow, someone has to live with that person. I'm glad it's not me". I think that helps my blood pressure.

But there are some things that I consider less than thoughtful, friendly, courteous behavior. I see a lot of these are about driving. I haven't seen anyone mention people that don't know how to use an acceleration ramp to enter an interstate or similar road. Instead of using the acceleration ramp to accelerate up to traffic speed and merging with traffic, they don't even think about merging until the lane disappears. Then they either force their way into traffic, whether there is room or not or they stop and wait for long break in traffic. Of course I make exceptions when traffic is so heavy you can't merge but I'm talking about yesterday when an 18-wheeler slowed down and gave them plenty of room, but all they could do was slow down even more. That's dangerous.

Another driving one is people that don't know how to use a 4-way stop. I'm not always sure if that is arrogance or they just don't have a clue about life going on around them.

@sumi I've driven in Ireland, I understand. It's not just the drivers, it's the roads. In its own unique way, Ireland is about the most challenging place I've ever driven. I have been a few places though that I did not drive, the company provided drivers. In Ireland I was on vacation.

I don't like robo-calls because I can't play with them but telemarketers aren't that bad. I've been known to try to get them to buy candy or raffle tickets the kids were selling at school, even if the kids had long ago graduated. Or I may ask them why the "do not call" list doesn't apply to them. With some of them I take my time and try to tie them up as long as I can, maybe getting them to explain why my requests to be on their "contact once a year by mail only" list continue to be ignored. I'm usually not rude to them but I did recently make an exception. When someone said are you aware of a computer problem, I asked if he was aware I thought scam artists like him should be surgically fixed so they could never breed. For some reason he hung up.

I can't think of any interpersonal relationship things that haven't been mentioned so I'll close.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder about 4 way stops Ridge. Is that something they don't teach anymore in Drivers Ed.? Sheesh.
I have a friend who told me once that she just lets everybody go ahead of her! Yikes. It only takes one person to throw the whole sequence out of whack.
That and roundabouts. Get behind someone timid who thinks it's a stop and they clog up the whole works.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't get me started on roundabouts, the town of lagrange took nice straight rt 55 and added 3 roundabouts to replace traffic lights. Nothing but accidents now. Must have been a car autobody shop's idea.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is one interstate on-ramp that I use pretty often that is scary because drivers don't move over, even when the left lane is clear. It is particularly bad when semi drivers don't move over.
I came close to merging right into a car the other day, that was tailgating a semi that wouldn't move over. This is not just a pet peeve, it's a health hazard.
The other on-ramps in the area aren't too bad, but this one....:epI guess it may have something to do with the proximity to the next off ramp down the highway, but, really, there is plenty of room to be polite, then get back over to make your exit.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once people learn how to use them properly roundabouts move traffic more efficiently than lights or 4-way stops. Myth Busters did an episode on that. But people have to understand the concept of "yield" and when to go. There can be a learning curve with roundabouts, just like any other change. For roundabouts with more than one lane, it really helps to know which lane you need to be in. Changing to a roundabout from a light or stop signs usually does increase accidents until people learn. So does going from side street stop signs to a 4-way stop or form signs to lights. But I agree, the learning curve is steeper with a roundabout, especially when people are not familiar with the concept.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner I swear I had the same caller telling me I have a computer problem. Wanted me to get online so he could walk me through the fix. I may not be computer savvy but I am not dumb enough to do what he asked. I did not call him for advice to fix problem, I have no Idea who you are or where he's calling from. IF I have a problem I will call a reputable shop or the manufacture. He got real testy with me and says *What you want me too come to your house and show you my I.D.?* NO, I do not, I want you to NEVER call me again. (This was after all his 2nd call.) Not sure who hung up 1st.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carol, if that computer guy "Habib" were to come to your house, that would mean he'd have to shut down his 7-11!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts