Pet Peeves

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once people learn how to use them properly roundabouts move traffic more efficiently than lights or 4-way stops. Myth Busters did an episode on that. But people have to understand the concept of "yield" and when to go. There can be a learning curve with roundabouts, just like any other change. For roundabouts with more than one lane, it really helps to know which lane you need to be in. Changing to a roundabout from a light or stop signs usually does increase accidents until people learn. So does going from side street stop signs to a 4-way stop or form signs to lights. But I agree, the learning curve is steeper with a roundabout, especially when people are not familiar with the concept.
When roundabouts were first installed in my city, I saw a lot of potential pitfalls... like loss of traction in winter. When I contacted DOT with my concerns, they said "yes, we realize there will probably be more accidents, but there will be fewer fatalities." I'm sure that all of the towing & body shop places thought (to borrow a phrase from Jerry Maguire) "you had me at more accidents!" :drool

Having gotten used to them now, I really like them. It would be nice, though, if the lane assignments were consistent on all roundabouts (they are not).

@Ridgerunner I swear I had the same caller telling me I have a computer problem. Wanted me to get online so he could walk me through the fix. I may not be computer savvy but I am not dumb enough to do what he asked. I did not call him for advice to fix problem, I have no Idea who you are or where he's calling from. IF I have a problem I will call a reputable shop or the manufacture. He got real testy with me and says *What you want me too come to your house and show you my I.D.?* NO, I do not, I want you to NEVER call me again. (This was after all his 2nd call.) Not sure who hung up 1st.
There is a scam currently underway, where a caller (with an Asian India accent) calls claiming to be Microsoft Customer Service. Obviously not true... so I asked him to tell me what operating system I was running, and listened to his mind go off the rails. :celebrate

The best way to deter a telemarketer (provided it is a live person) is to hit the record button, if you have one. Once they here the "beep", they are gone instantly, and most likely will not return. That "record" tone is like telemarketer rat poison.;)

Had a new telemarketer variation today... a robocall that begins with "this is the return phone call you requested". :idunno

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think some are forgetting how much fun it can be to pull a Clark Griswold in round abouts.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman That was the guy! I figured it to a scam instantly. :somad And then when he got rude. :somad:somad:somad
Hmm we have new phone with lots of bells and whistles. I will see if I have the record option. ;)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you don't even need to record them, just tell them the call is being recorded. not everyone's recording system does the beep. many states if you are recording you have to inform the person on the other end. there are some phone systems now that force someone that is not on your approved call list to make the 1st call press 1 then hang up & call back again. it's to prove your not a robo caller. if the scam artists get through this the owner can still decide to block calls coming from that line. if your # is blocked it won't let the caller get through.

the hard part now with a lot of scammers is they look like they are calling from a USA phone # when they aren't.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@sumi I've driven in Ireland, I understand. It's not just the drivers, it's the roads. In its own unique way, Ireland is about the most challenging place I've ever driven. I have been a few places though that I did not drive, the company provided drivers. In Ireland I was on vacation.

It certainly is a very challenging place to drive. These roads are very narrow in many places, as I'm sure you've seen! And I see the discussion went on to roundabouts… There must be about a million of those here. I've driven through about three prior to coming here and have since got so used to them, if the road is quiet enough (no incoming traffic from any direction) and space allows, I go through them full speed now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my, telemarketers. My cell company made the mistake of pre-programming their number into my phone, so when they call to try and sell me something, I know it's them and don't answer. So, they got clever and got someone to phone me from a different number. I looked and saw it was a Dublin number and answered… Really cute sounding guy, asked me some questions about my phone, etc, to see if it was still registered to me. He asked my date of birth and I told him it's rude to ask, so he asked me my address at the time I bought the phone (holiday cottage) and I told him I can't remember. The poor man then said I have a lot of prepay credit on my phone and I told him if he phoned the person I call often, he'd have a lot of credit too. She talks a LOT. He burst out laughing, we had a lovely chat and I noticed since they've reduced my international call rates to about 20c/minute :)

Latest posts