Phaedra's 2021 Garden

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The mini oasis on the kitchen island has wonderful growth, I will transplant most of them in few days, as their roots develop well.
32457.jpg

Baked two delicious loaves of toast, the texture is dreamlike.
32430_0.jpg

32429.jpg

The other one with pure cacao powder
32532.jpg

One for my father-in-low, and one for our neighbor
32473.jpg

Also a harvest, 8 brand new strawberry plants propagated from the runners.
32582.jpg

The roots grow out of the holes at the bottom, ready to go!
32530.jpg

A Shrub roses 'Synactif by Shiseido' - this is the first plant I bought when I moved to Germany, and I brought it to the new house. I should consider to remove them again somewhere with partly shed. The current location is somehow too hot for them after 11am (facing west).
32583.jpg

Late summer pruning remains, so many plants are waiting to be properly pruned and fed.
32515.jpg

Harvested some carrots, I like the colorful variety :D
32584.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Monday to Thursday for gardening works, Friday for homemade food~

Picked first some more plums from the neighbor, mixed with our own grape and elderberries - some nice juice and jam.

Tomorrow I will make the strawberry + peach jam.

32744.jpg

Eggs and zucchini
32745.jpg

Tea and breakfast in the garden shed, the Dahlia 'Café au Lait' is quite elegant.
32594.jpg

32595.jpg

Succession planting in early August, the growth is very impressive. August/September is the very ideal timing for planting spinach, as the daylight is reducing and temperature is dropping, they won't easily bolt. Although we had a cooler summer, the first two weeks of September is quite warm, the beans enjoy that much.
32756.jpg

I didn't realize I planted Gladiolus here once, but such a beauty!
32748.jpg

Soon it will be time for autumn aster, I had a deep but bright purple variety in the pond area, but this light purple one is newly planted this spring and bloom few weeks earlier, just after the oriental lily stargazer.
32753.jpg

I like the color! Hopefully they will become stronger every year, like the one in the pond area.
32752.jpg

Also made some Kimchi (Tongbaechu means napa cabbage). They are fermenting in the room temperature for coming 3 days and will stay in the fridge/freezer after that until it's fully consumed.
32747.jpg

32742.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monday to Thursday for gardening works, Friday for homemade food~

Picked first some more plums from the neighbor, mixed with our own grape and elderberries - some nice juice and jam.

Tomorrow I will make the strawberry + peach jam.

View attachment 43716

Eggs and zucchini
View attachment 43717

Tea and breakfast in the garden shed, the Dahlia 'Café au Lait' is quite elegant.
View attachment 43718

View attachment 43719

Succession planting in early August, the growth is very impressive. August/September is the very ideal timing for planting spinach, as the daylight is reducing and temperature is dropping, they won't easily bolt. Although we had a cooler summer, the first two weeks of September is quite warm, the beans enjoy that much.
View attachment 43720

I didn't realize I planted Gladiolus here once, but such a beauty!
View attachment 43721

Soon it will be time for autumn aster, I had a deep but bright purple variety in the pond area, but this light purple one is newly planted this spring and bloom few weeks earlier, just after the oriental lily stargazer.
View attachment 43722

I like the color! Hopefully they will become stronger every year, like the one in the pond area.
View attachment 43723

Also made some Kimchi (Tongbaechu means napa cabbage). They are fermenting in the room temperature for coming 3 days and will stay in the fridge/freezer after that until it's fully consumed.
View attachment 43725
View attachment 43724

love the pink glads and drooling over the kimchi. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The cuttings and runners from August grow very well, so I transplanted them finally today.
32810.jpg

The strawberries grow from runners - the root balls are well developed.
32808.jpg

Most of them are planted on the tops of the vertical planters in the chicken run. For example this one is now with young strawberry plants.
32806.jpg

Earlier I also planted similar propagated plants here, they grow stably - mint, strawberry, lavender and leek. Few peas and green beans are doing fine, too.
32804.jpg

Started burying flower bulbs for the cut flowers next spring. 200 Tulips are done today, and I have another 1,000 waiting.
32817.jpg

32818.jpg

In love with Dahlias
32839.jpg

32814.jpg

Sedum flowers are soooo attractive for all kinds of pollinators.
32811.jpg

Flower sprouts look so promising.
32834.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love tulips and at one time had a collection of over 80 different varieties. :) wish they would do ok here, but they don't so i've had to move on from plans where i was cross breeding them and trying to get them to grow up long enough to flower.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love tulips too. We had red tulips growing along the south side of the foundation when we moved into our home. They didn't last long... apparently they are just "spring salad" to rabbits. After being eaten to the ground several times, they stopped coming back. :(

A garlic grower I know plants tulip bulbs between different garlic varieties. They get planted the same time, and dug the same time. After he digs the garlic, he sells the tulip bulbs. It sounds like a good system.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love tulips too. We had red tulips growing along the south side of the foundation when we moved into our home. They didn't last long... apparently they are just "spring salad" to rabbits. After being eaten to the ground several times, they stopped coming back. :(

A garlic grower I know plants tulip bulbs between different garlic varieties. They get planted the same time, and dug the same time. After he digs the garlic, he sells the tulip bulbs. It sounds like a good system.
According to my limited experiences, tulips didn't come back as well as other spring flower bulbs like crocuses, hyacinths, and narcissus. I once read an article that said: the most perennial tulips are those of the Darwin Group and their hybrids and the species or botanical tulips. Till then I learned that there are different groups of tulips.

Last weekend when I dug out where I have planted them, hyacinths and narcissus have quite nice bulbs. But tulips don't.

Planting garlic and tulip together sounds good!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not much about gardening these two days. It keeps raining, so I stay indoors most of the time. As we have moved into this house for 3 years, it's ideal timing to think about how to optimize some layouts. For example, I removed one divider from the original kitchen furniture, added these IKEA Kallax accessories - for all my trays and forms.

32448.jpg

Then I added legs for the removed divider and assembled it with the Kallax cabinet. It became home for the shopping bags, aprons, and tablecloths.
33114.jpg

Deadheading flowers in the greenhouse and window sills.
33115.jpg

32869_0.jpg

I spend quite some time in the laundry room, so making it another lovely corner where I can work in a good mood is worthy.
32868_0.jpg

It's also one of my coffee corners. I am not in a hurry and want to work at my tempo.
32902_0.jpg

32901_0.jpg

Leafy greens planted in late July and early August are growing well. August is very ideal timing for planting spinach here.
33108.jpg

Chores, like cleaning the washing machine and sewing, are all tiny but meaningful elements that made my everyday story.

33111.jpg

33110.jpg

Latest posts