Phaedra's 2021 Garden

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The kitchen is recaptured.
1829.jpg

1820.jpg

The windows are crystal clear again, like the days I still stayed here.
1778.jpg

Now I can touch the surface with my bare hands.
1777.jpg

He reads what is written on the whiteboard when he stays in this room. This helps him to remember things.
1791.jpg

Clean space, clean utensils
1782.jpg

1780.jpg

His personal grocery store
1790.jpg

We also bought some new clothes, bedroom-and bathroom textiles - which will be done tomorrow and weekend.

1816.jpg

Merry Christmas!
1817.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is the one who always cleans and organizes everything for the family. In fact, he is totally opposite to my own father, who was a party animal. Before dementia got him, he did a lot of gardening (my gardening journey started when he bought me 6 young strawberry plants), toy railway, and genealogy research after retirement.

your Dad sounds a bit like me, i had a HO scale railroad as a teen and would still love to have another one here. i also enjoyed geneaology for some years and gardening i've enjoyed my entire life. the first plants that i like to put in a garden are strawberries (and roses if they will survive) - i also used to grow a lot of different houseplants and learned how to do plant propagation techniques with them and would give away plants to anyone who'd take them.

The house is ruined by a slob (monster level), which is no longer our problem. :bow

that is good! :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got one sweet Christmas gift from one of my pullets, that are hatched this June. So, this is my first olive egg. 😍 😍 😍
1897.jpg

I got up early as usual and made the traditional Christmas meal from my husband's family - a simple noodle salad. For me, Christmas was once just a foreign holiday full of elements created by the merchants. Although I love this holiday very much, those created elements still presented something I can't get from my own family.

After getting married and moving to Germany, Christmas becomes more meaningful. My husband explained that many people still have to work on December 24th. Therefore, dinner on Christmas Eve is usually something that can be done quickly, instead of a huge meal. His family used to have noodle salad with pan-fried sausages. The bigger meal comes on Christmas Day.

Well, no matter what holiday, the priority is who we are together with. Food and the other goodies are nice to have. My father-in-law is also the one who introduced this dish to me, and he prepares it every year. Now we don't live together, and he can't cook for himself any longer. Although the meal delivery company still brings the food today, I don't want him alone.

We went to him about noontime and had lunch together. He picked one sweater I bought and looked like a little boy. He read the Christmas letter from my husband, and they both cried. I almost cried, too, but someone had to be tough enough to prepare the lunch.
1898.jpg

They talked about Italy (their favorite country for traveling), Roman Empire, etc.
1901.jpg

And he loves the ice cream!
1899.jpg

The food is simple, but the time we spent together is the real gold.
1875.jpg

After lunch, I kept cleaning the kitchen, and my husband changed his bed with the new stuff we bought yesterday. Fluffy and warm~
1874.jpg

Please call me Ms.Throw-so-many-thing-away.
1902.jpg

The kitchen clean-up is also done. I like the way it looks now. :D
1873.jpg

Can't wait to have our own simple dinner and gift-opening.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We enjoyed a quiet Christmas at home today.

The first batch of grain spawn seems working - the mycelium colonization was visible from yesterday. Both pink oyster and blue oyster mushroom mycelium grow quite well; Shiitake mushroom is so far the slowest.
1930.jpg

1928.jpg

I might make a few more bottles soon.

On the same day when I prepared the grain spawns, I soaked some rye berries for producing sprouts for chickens. Today is the first day I brought them to the greenhouse for accessing light. Before having a chance to receive light, the sprouts are a bit pink.

1929.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't have time for many things these few days because I decided to help rebuild my father-in-law's life. After going there for two full days, I realized that it's something my husband won't be able to make it alone.

Today a company that helps people clean their house and brings unwanted stuffs away came and did brilliant works. I also worked there for several days. There are still many to be done, but now it looks like a home again.
2584.jpg

I like this Tiffany-style lamp very much. After cleaning it piece by piece, now it shines.
2572.jpg

2476.jpg

I don't want him to have such a meal alone. It's a food delivery service for elder people, but I simply just can't stand this. Putting the food on a plate, adding an omelet, and eating with him - I have no superpower to do more, but I can accomplish this.
2435.jpg

He won't even remember that we had lunch together today and laughed at some jokes in the newspaper, but I will.
2463.jpg

The huge windows in the living room are also crystal clear now, and all the unwanted stuff is gone. I will bring some young vegetables from my greenhouse to this garden tomorrow and get some indoor plants on Friday. :D This house will be reborn soon.

2564.jpg

Good night; every tomorrow will be a milestone.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have time for many things these few days because I decided to help rebuild my father-in-law's life. After going there for two full days, I realized that it's something my husband won't be able to make it alone.

Today a company that helps people clean their house and brings unwanted stuffs away came and did brilliant works. I also worked there for several days. There are still many to be done, but now it looks like a home again.
View attachment 46453

I like this Tiffany-style lamp very much. After cleaning it piece by piece, now it shines.
View attachment 46455

View attachment 46456

I don't want him to have such a meal alone. It's a food delivery service for elder people, but I simply just can't stand this. Putting the food on a plate, adding an omelet, and eating with him - I have no superpower to do more, but I can accomplish this.
View attachment 46457

He won't even remember that we had lunch together today and laughed at some jokes in the newspaper, but I will.
View attachment 46458

The huge windows in the living room are also crystal clear now, and all the unwanted stuff is gone. I will bring some young vegetables from my greenhouse to this garden tomorrow and get some indoor plants on Friday. :D This house will be reborn soon.

View attachment 46452

Good night; every tomorrow will be a milestone.
You are an AWESOME Daughter-in-law. His home will lovely and comfortable again. You are a blessing.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The kitchen is functioning now.
2730.jpg

I installed two motion-sensing LED lights (chargeable), and the darkest corner in the kitchen would be bright when someone needed to wash something. With sufficient light, it's much easier to clean properly. Things can be old, but they can't be dirty (for me).
2657.jpg

Working in a clean environment is a must for me :p
2915.jpg

We walked the dog together today. In fact, the dog led the way and brought him home. When he lives alone, the dog has a chaotic diet - sometimes he completely forgets her food, sometimes, he gives too many times. Now my daughter and I will also ensure the dog has proper food and water supply.
2771_0.jpg

The surprise I prepared for him - after lunch and taking his medicine, it's happy time!
2780_0.jpg

2781_0.jpg

He was once a gentleman who took care of all kinds of things after retiring and insisted on ironing his handkerchiefs. The first week I moved to Germany, I realized that my husband didn't even know how to use a washing machine. His dad did everything - cooking, gardening, household chores, his hobbies...etc.

At this moment, I am capable and willing to do something for him. Staying with him makes me realize how confused he is from time to time. But now, my daughter (in her gap year) and I take turns - each of us will be there with him for three days a week. We will make his quality of life more pleasant.

2803_0.jpg

A long, long time ago, I once read an article which said we are sort of "soil" - which can nourish people around us.

This Friday, I will start planting in the garden there. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A super humid day! The humidity inside the greenhouse reached 93%; I can't believe it.

I harvested some leafy greens and microgreens. They are so fresh and delicious.
3196.jpg

3197.jpg

See the color! Those lamp lettuces grow quite well in the small containers.
3192.jpg

3191.jpg

I only collected the outer bigger leaves.
3190.jpg

Cat grass looks ready for harvest.
3195.jpg

Cats also enjoyed fresh greens.
3059.jpg

3060.jpg

Look at these Ryes! They made a magical painting.
3194.jpg

They don't need soil - I used only the kitchen papers
3198.jpg

I will start planting these in the small garden in Cologne too, then when I am there (3 days a week), I will have more fun.

Latest posts