Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Failure comes in different ways. There are a number of routes to success, there is an infinite number of ways to do something wrong. Sometimes, it a fizzle; sometimes, failure puts up a lot of smoke even without the flash/bang. It may smudge us up a bit, it can attract attention 🥴.

It's important not to be too embarrassed by failure. There are too many ways to go off-track. Important to give it all some thought and try again coming from a little different direction. But, remember that old adage about insanity — doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

🤠 Stevie

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Friday!

Day for getting 3Euro Veggie bags from Lidl - I fall in love with such bags, because they offer me opportunities to cook something else. No precondition, no assumption - just cook from what were packed inside.
13629_0.jpg

Today is also the day I have to remove one wisdom tooth, so I quickly cleaned up the veggies and made a rough preparation. After returning from the dentist, I cooked Bolognese pasta. Our neighbors accepted our proposal to bring them lunch.

Our neighbors got married in 1976, the year DH and I were born. That means they have been husband and wife for 47 years. They are a lovely couple, a very traditional one. When the wife went to the ER because of the stroke, the husband was sad and panicked. He told us that he never used a washing machine or cooked - suddenly, the house was a bit monstrous when he was completely alone.

The wife was back last week but needed time to recover slowly. She can walk again (a short distance) and things are getting better. Their children come back from time to time to cook and clean the household for them.

So, I suggested bringing them some meals when I cook larger portions. It's so good that they've finally accepted. They used to be a bit hesitant when we offered them something. Perhaps I've come to see them as family without a blood connection. While a blood relationship can be nice, it's not necessarily a requirement.

Now, about today's lunch – it's ready. I started by grilling the sweet peppers to add some smoky flavor, and then I peeled the skins off the tomatoes and sweet peppers. It's a simple meal, but it has the power to make our neighbors and us feel loved.

13627_0.jpg

Our hens also feel loved, I believe. They had a warm meal mixed with commercial feeds and cooked scraps.
13630_0.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am guessing that your Asian inspired dishes will be awaking the taste buds of your elderly German neighbours Phaedra. They are in for a real treat!

P.S. In the immortal words of Mr. Rogers-- would you be my neighbour? If either of the houses next to ours come up for sale I could let you know! 😂

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hard-working days again - I transplanted another few brassicas into the hoop tunnel and replenished it with about 1.5" homemade compost.
I will strengthen the structure a bit by adding some more spare pipes during the coming two days.
13686.jpg

Then, we started renovating the chicken run of our second flock, to build a roof on pallets. As we finished the first one earlier, this time everything is easier with lots of trial and error experiences. DH and I could do different things at the same time, it's much quicker!

I took care of the door when he connected the pallets.
13708.jpg

And see, my first hinge on the door element! :weee(our first one...we used zip ties:lol:)
13706.jpg

Still some miles to go, but our both flocks will enjoy a much much better winter for sure.
13704.jpg

Flowers in the standing planters in the greenhouse, adorable.
13710.jpg

13709.jpg

So far, the frost isn't foreseen within the next two weeks, so many plants are still growing happily outdoors.
13707.jpg

I really wish we have more such kind of sunny autumn days, so lovely.
13711.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a nice green h! I’m sure your flock will enjoy their improved winter quarters.

I have a heavy frost this morning. Everything is white. Frost usually doesn’t show up for a couple more weeks. Everyone is saying a cold winter. Not what I want to hear! LOL

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a bad time in the past few days, due to the allergic reactions from the antibiotic (Amoxicillin) that the dentist gave me. I had antibiotic treatment once or twice earlier, nothing went wrong; however, it's sure that my body hates Amoxicillin so I got the so-called 'Amoxicillin rash.' In the beginning, I thought I was stung by some sort of mosquitoes or whatever insects. But the hives continued to happen on the random places and drove me crazy. When I visited the dentist on Friday, I sat on the chair and suddenly had a feeling that it's allergy.

The dentist took a look and said no... he just asked me to stop taking the pills, which I already did. Seeing a doctor who can't or isn't willing to properly examine and explain is already frustrating, and no need to say, the communication was done in the fourth language, sigh. It's the time I really missed to visit doctors in my hometown, that I can easily understand, ask, discuss, whatever.

Well, thankfully, at least I can get some overall information from ChatGpt and then do some more research for myself. As the dentist also suggested, I stopped taking the pills (pretty high dosage, and I already took them for an entire week), drank a lot of water, and took the second-generation antihistamine that we have in our first-aid kit. The antihistamine was from the dermatologist's prescription I received earlier, so it's safe. I learned a lesson, that checking all medicine before taking them is really a must. I will also give the dentist or whoever need to treat me in the future that I can't take antibiotics in that specific family.

Winter radish, pak choi, and spinach - I didn't pay special attention to them, but they're doing fine so far.
13794.jpg

The divided wild strawberry are also doing very well, I hope I can transplant them to their permanent location soon. They recovered from the dividing procedure and started stretching their root systems.
13807.jpg

13806.jpg

The autumn raspberry that I propagated from the basal shoot is also ready to be transplanted to a permanent spot - it bears fruits already.

13805.jpg

MUMs growing in the greenhouse
13798.jpg

Still several days before frost might arrive, two sweet Osmanthus I got earlier this year adapt nicely and sent new shoots. I will move them inside again before next weekend.
13804.jpg

I also keep pruning back the annuals and feed the compost heaps.
13802.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a bad time in the past few days, due to the allergic reactions from the antibiotic (Amoxicillin) that the dentist gave me. I had antibiotic treatment once or twice earlier, nothing went wrong; however, it's sure that my body hates Amoxicillin so I got the so-called 'Amoxicillin rash.' In the beginning, I thought I was stung by some sort of mosquitoes or whatever insects. But the hives continued to happen on the random places and drove me crazy. When I visited the dentist on Friday, I sat on the chair and suddenly had a feeling that it's allergy.

The dentist took a look and said no... he just asked me to stop taking the pills, which I already did. Seeing a doctor who can't or isn't willing to properly exam and explain is already frustrating, and no need to say, the communication was done in the fourth language, sigh. It's the time I really missed to visit doctors in my hometown, that I can easily understand, ask, discuss, whatever.

Well, thankfully, at least I can get some overall information from ChatGpt and then do some more research for myself. As the dentist also suggested, I stopped taking the pills (pretty high dosage, and I already took them for an entire week), drank a lot of water, and took the second-generation antihistamine that we have in our first-aid kit. The antihistamine was from the dermatologist's prescription I received earlier, so it's safe. I learned a lesson, that checking all medicine before taking them is really a must. I will also give the dentist or whoever need to treat me in the future that I can't take antibiotics in that specific family.

so sorry for the rash and language issues (even with English i seem to have consistent problems with doctors *sigh*). i also have to note to docs about sulpha related drugs to be careful.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a bad time in the past few days, due to the allergic reactions from the antibiotic (Amoxicillin) that the dentist gave me. I had antibiotic treatment once or twice earlier, nothing went wrong; however, it's sure that my body hates Amoxicillin so I got the so-called 'Amoxicillin rash.'
I stopped taking the pills (pretty high dosage, and I already took them for an entire week), drank a lot of water, and took the second-generation antihistamine that we have in our first-aid kit. The antihistamine was from the dermatologist's prescription I received earlier, so it's safe. I learned a lesson, that checking all medicine before taking them is really a must. I will also give the dentist or whoever need to treat me in the future that I can't take antibiotics in that specific family

I also have an allergy to penicillin (of which amoxicillin is a derivative) and it's nothing to fool around with. My parents had a friend long ago who was in a serious car accident while traveling in a foreign country. Whether he was unconscious, or perhaps because of the language barrier, the doctors didn't know of his allergy and the first thing they did was to shoot him full of penicillin, which killed him.

So my parents took it very seriously when I (as a child) developed a rash typical of penicillin. To this day I avoid taking that class of drugs and I have "allergic to penicillin" written on the inside of my wallet, plainly visible. There are plenty of other effective antibiotics, like erythromycin, available. For dental infections, clindamycin is particularly useful as it fights infections in anaerobic spaces. It sounds though that you consumed enough amoxicillin to ward off infection before you had to stop taking it.

Latest posts