Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Could I have the recipe for the banana bread? I'm rather fond of coffee flavored things.
I didn't have specific banana bread recipe, but you can use any and replace a certain % of liquid with coffee. I used instant coffee and boiled water, so the flavor will be a bit stronger. Otherwise, the normal coffee has no chance to compete with banana. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We went to Antwerpen, Belgium yesterday and enjoyed some time in a city. Antwerpen main station itself is such a unique spot.
17608.jpg

17610.jpg

17609.jpg

We didn't have a plan and just used the tram to see a bit in the city. It's a small trip for anniversary, so enjoying the companion is the key.
17607.jpg

We spent some time in a random park, and it was pleasant.
17606.jpg

The hotel we chose is just above one rail station, so we decided to spend the evening sitting in front of the huge window and chatting. I brought our own coffee machine and kettle - to avoid using the hotel devices (both kettle and coffee capsule machine, no guarantee they are clean and the capsules are never environmentally friendly). Of course, it saved unnecessary spending, too.

In a rest stop, where a coffee costs almost 5 Euros - we can simply enjoy our own coffee and cake. I grounded the coffee 5 minutes before we left home and filled the thermos with boiled water.
17639.jpg

After check-in, time for coffee again!
17636.jpg

I made iced cacao and latte first.
17634.jpg

And then, after washing the glasses, time to get some veggies.
17635.jpg

The dinner is pizza, salad, and Oolong tea. Simple but good! It's a lovely experience to see all kinds of trains arriving and departing - so many people, so many different stories are flowing in the city.
17603.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's good to leave the daily routine and have a trip somewhere, but, such trips also offer great opportunities to realize how many beautiful things we own. After we were home again today, we enjoyed a sunny afternoon in the garden.
17617.jpg

17628.jpg

17625.jpg

The veggies are growing well in the tomato house.
17619.jpg

17618.jpg

More are ready to be transplanted.
17620.jpg

I started the pre-sprout of more Dahlia, Calla lilies, Ranunculus, and Inca lilies.

Adzuki beans are doing well, too. The leaves were really pale in the beginning(because the temperature was too low), but now, they look very healthy.
17367.jpg

I put some chicken feather and dog furs in the bird feeder as well, so birds can use them for making nests. So far, several blue tits and robins visit here often during day time.
17369.jpg

I added one more window for the gray house, another three are still waiting. It might take me another two weeks to complete this gray house project.
17364.jpg

I love our garden!
17370.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Do you mean those I grew from seeds? They are doing well, and some of them are still in the pots like this. Those are young plants that I sowed from home saved seeds last spring.
View attachment 64605
They are beautiful! I have a lot of seeds and I want to try this, too. I am surprised to see them so BIG!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Apple and pear trees are sending new leaves and flower buds!
17701.jpg

The weather today was extremely unstable, sunny, rainy, sunny, stormy, sunny, rainy...
So, I spent some time in the greenhouse and completed another batch seed sowing and seedling pricking.

Peas and beetroots - two per cell
17700.jpg

17702.jpg

The silicone mat did a nice job for soilless germination - I tried first with basil from microgreen seeds. A bit too many, well, the rest will still be eaten as microgreens.
17694.jpg

Pricking out is pretty easy; however, silicone mat has a drawback for growing microgreen imo - much more difficult to hold/manage the proper moisture - it's very easy that seedlings will dry out in no time.
17692.jpg

Anyway, it's ok to try such mat for just seed germination - as long as there are proper containers with lids and the pricking out can be done at the right time.
17693.jpg

I sowed about 30 varieties of veggies, fruits, and flowers today.

Two weeks ago, when I transplanted an overwintered snapdragon and two young honeyberry plants, I pruned them and kept the cuttings in the water. I thought, well, if any of them develops roots, a free plant is always welcome.
17696.jpg

The first free plant was transplanted in to a 7cm pot today, a snapdragon. In other words, snapdragon can be kept in the unheated greenhouse and duplicated via cuttings in early spring. This method can save some effort, although I still sowed two different varieties last month (and they germinated nicely).
17695.jpg

Frost warning - plants in the sheltered tomato house
17690.jpg

I got an order for four Easter cakes today! I didn't expect it at all. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rainy day, baking day

After acquiring some fresh, wonderful grapes, and having previously made some honey whisky-processed raisins, I combined the two to create a sponge cake with maple syrup icing.
24-03-24-15-12-15-692_deco.jpg

Fresh grapes -- look like sort of jewelry
P_20240324_095753.jpg

A naked cake with bare sides - but the fluffy sponge cake and the icing were rich enough for the overall flavor, while fresh grapes and raisins offered
P_20240324_163730.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Next to the grey house is a shady area. In winter, there is no directly sunlight the entire day. After spring equinox, there will be gradually some sunlight after 1pm. While working on the grey house, I am also considering how to turn this small area into a shady garden.

Yesterday, I dug out most of the wild garlics I planted in the past years and let them stay in pots. They can tolerate shades for sure, and I want to use pots to 'incubate' more for other shady areas. The target is, I can forage a decent amount of wild garlics from different shady corners in this garden.
17760.jpg

Today, I used some old planting stones, a pot, a bird bath, a solar fountain, and some plants to create a water feature.
17754.jpg

17756.jpg

The solar fountain is originally in another side of the garden - it looks great again after some cleaning.
17752.jpg

I am also working on the 4th window of grey house, and I hope, I can finish all windows this weekend.

So far so good - coming next, an azalea from other corner and some peas will check in.
17755.jpg

A white cherry blossom at its peak
17753.jpg

I harvested some chives for the spicy potato.
17758.jpg

Yummy!
17759.jpg

Today's small order from DH's colleague, simple but good lunch.
17762.jpg

Latest posts