Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Schleiden: Thank God It's Friday (without Hail!)

From yesterday, we kept receiving severe weather warnings, heavy rain, thunderstorm, hail (up to 5cm diameter!!), and even a small-scaled tornado.

Both gardens are in the same region, so I am doubled worried.

I can't imagine hails up to 5cm in size. Plants in the hoop tunnel are 100% safe; some of my raised beds have been covered with insect protection nets that can more or less be counted as poor shields. However, most of the plants are "naked."

Thankfully, those terrible warnings didn't happen. We had so far heavy rain for maybe 30 minutes, which provided, in fact, the water every living plant needs.

Before the rain started, an idea suddenly came to my mind. I know that many people have already tried planting potatoes in the compost bins. How about sweet potatoes? Will they cause a lot of trouble when I dig them out? After all, compared with potatoes, sweet potatoes usually go much deeper.

Well, What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Just as I brought all sweet potato plants to the compost bin under a willow tree, I suddenly recognized one issue - insufficient sunlight.

So, the idea about planting sweet potatoes in the compost bin was gone with the wind (and the rain).

But, but, but, I still have many growing leafy greens (all belong to the Bok Choy category) in the greenhouse. They don't need much sunlight, and in fact, they appreciated some shaded locations even more. Their roots are shallow, so digging would never be a problem.

Besides, they will need just another few weeks to grow - such perfect candidates for a gardening experiment.

Hit it.
1971.jpg

The composter is a 900 Liter one and was full (we stopped adding more materials) last October. It sunk about 30~35% in height, and the temperature is relatively mild and stable now.

Yes, and I am lazy. I am not willing to turn or bring the compost out at this moment when there is so much to do in both gardens.

I can't find a reason to stop me from taking it as a planter. So, after adding about 150L of packaged soil directly to the top, those leafy greens were transplanted for this trial-and-error.
1972.jpg

As they are young, tender, and juicy leafy greens, I add an insect (and bird) protect net with the same setting I used in the raised beds.
1974.jpg

DONE!
1982.jpg

And then, if things go on smoothly, I will put other smaller composters (300L, in fact, too small to create compost effectively) at the locations with full sunlight and use them as raised beds. Till then, the sweet potatoes will have their new apartments.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Cologne: Pinwheels on Board

Can I claim it's a green energy spot? 🤣
2025_1.jpg

Wildflower patch (left) and Dahlia patch (right)
The wildflower patch looks like a carpet. The germination rate is so high. I just cleaned up the Dahlia tubers and put them in the pots.
2021.jpg

So, the quails have a lot of good views now.
2029.jpg

I will say they have a good life here.
2031.jpg

The garden is transforming into a place of fun for my FIL.
2019_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Schleiden - Tree Rhododendrons, Lupines, and Lilies

In the coming weeks, we might have more unstable weather. However, as there should be no longer a risk of late frost, most of the plants are doing well.

The tree rhododendrons are shining under the sunlight.
4360.jpg

For me, they are a bit mysterious. Since we bought the house, every year, it seems that they "penetrate" to the different corners. In other words, they keep surprising me.
4385.jpg

4365.jpg

4386.jpg

For example, the rhododendrons in these two small regions had no flowers in the first two years after we moved in. Maybe they were too young? Anyway, from the third year, they just burst into colors.
2167.jpg

4387.jpg

Just when I was impressed by the lovely colors, I realized that there was some orange-color variety under these light pink ones. (I don't take a photo yet). Such surprises also happened to the Azaleas - suddenly a different color variety appeared somewhere.

Tulips are dying back, and the courgettes and asters are taking the space and growing.
2173.jpg

Most of the courgettes are fruiting smoothly this year. In the past years, the male flowers appeared very late so the overall performance was always disappointing. Maybe this year, I finally have the chance to be chased by a lot of courgettes.
2171.jpg

Lupine and Lily Patch - I am happy about them, both of them need almost no special attention.
4361.jpg

The Double Oriental Lilies in this bed also thrive.
4138(1).jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Cologne - Small, Sparkling, and Delightful Spots, One after Another

I don't know how long we will stay in this house. However, as long as we are still using it, I am always willing to create lovely spots in a cost-effective way.

The bucket is now a carrier of life. The sound of moving water makes such a difference and is so relaxing. I can't wait to make some similar arrangements in our own garden.
2323.jpg

2324_0.jpg

There must be something, or somewhere we can start making a difference - gardening is the same. The beauty and joy sparkled from a specific point would become the motivation to elaborate further to a line, a plane, and a space, just a matter of time.
2325.jpg

The wildflower patch looks like a green carpet woven by the seedlings. I know it looks a bit ridiculous and needs some thinning, but let's wait and see.
2392.jpg

I am in love with such a creating process. Of course, the outcome matters, but the process itself is also a true reward.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It must be interesting to garden in a city that is well over 1,000 years old.

I would be looking intensely at every bit of soil that I moved. Artifacts! It wouldn't matter a great deal what they amounted to because my imagination would be constantly running away with me at the slightest suggestion of something ancient.

Better yet, something prehistoric ... oh yeah!

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The brightest moment for these Rhodrodendons in 2022
4499.jpg

2442_0.jpg

The pink one in the front yard, without direct sunlight, still blossoms so nicely.
2444.jpg

Radish on the way
2428_0.jpg

Iris on the way
2438.jpg

2436.jpg

Tadpoles are growing in the bigger pond.
2439.jpg

Harvesting and sharing - the neighbors on both sides received eggs, veggies, and flowers.
2394_0.jpg

2463_0.jpg

The table is set.
4468.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Cologne: Transforming into a Lovely Place

Finally, time to clean up the terrace area - most of the things are now attached to the wooden border on the right-hand side. The ground is very easy to clean.
2502.jpg

We got some more plants from both Aldi and Lidl this week. They are much more cost-effective than the ones in gardening centers. Today, they all moved into the same 10 Liter pots, a quick way to reach a certain consistency
2483_0.jpg

2482_0.jpg

The wooden border on the left-hand side still needs a bit more time, but at least it also looks much better than before.
2495.jpg

We also got a cheap screen for the living room door (to the garden), now the door can always be open without worrying about all kinds of insects.
2508.jpg

I do enjoy updating new look and feel - every day is a milestone.

Latest posts