Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There is a big bucket here in the small garden - whatever inside went to the bio trash. I bought a lotus basket and a tiny solar fountain device. Now, we have a water feature in the small garden.
1687_0.jpg

The solar disk can be placed separately, not necessarily in the water, so that it can have a better display on sunny days. With the lotus leaves on the surface, it offers safer access to water for bees and other insects.
1694.jpg

Plants are growing well in the containers. I will start giving them bio tomato fertilizer as it can provide necessary nutrients for container plants.
1701.jpg

Eggplants are also residents here, as they also have a much better chance to thrive in this garden. Their location has at least 10 hours of strong sunlight on good weather days.
1700.jpg

The veggie patch :D
1698.jpg

Meanwhile, the wildflower patch also has some progress; the germination starts.
1696.jpg

What I would do this week include:
- put these Dahlia tubers in the containers and then station them in the Dahlia patch. I can't believe it, each of them (premium varieties) costs just one Euro. So I picked those slightly sprouted ones, happy!
- keep cleaning up the rest of the jungle
- buy two or three planters for strawberries
1688_0.jpg

The lawn here also looks terrible. I will sow the grass seeds before it rains.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I fell down a phone rabbit hole last week. "Why Disneyworld doesn't have mosquitoes."
Took 20 slides but the point was, "Moving water."
They also use comets and mosquito fish in their bodies of water AND keep chickens and check their blood for any mosquito borne diseases.
Thought you'd like to know how smart you are! :hugs

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here is a gardening program episode with a year long experiment in hydroponics. Brie Arthur tried growing in a fishtank of sorts with mosquito fish. The plants did ok, the fish survived the winter, then a bullfrog moved in and ate the fish!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, What is the brand name of your long-handled grass cutter tool? Thank you in advance! 😄
Hi meadow, it's Fiskar, I am somehow their fan. Not sure if they are available in US, but I am sure you can find something similar. :D

For me, it's a must-have tool for cutting weeds on the edges of raised beds and borders.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Cologne: Put the jungle down

1880.jpg

What a view from a lonely hero's back :lol:
Let's go!
1801.jpg

The edges are drawn under all kinds of weeds and grasses. It's already something beyond what my small mower can achieve.
1821.jpg

All things I don't need are gone, but even so, the single-battery-powered mower still can't handle those waste.
1804.jpg

The monster bush also got a harsh haircut. There are so many dead or weak branches.
1802.jpg

Another two team members reported on duty. The grass shear took the lead; the rake and the waste sack took those long stems and dead plants; then, the mower cleaned things up.
1866.jpg

1844.jpg

My lovely team members!
1846.jpg

Two raised beds are already on the way. Before setting them up, I will use cartons as temporary weed blockers.
1845.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Cologne: The evolving water feature

One week ago, it was still an emptied old bucket, without knowing what would be its destiny. It was once used to plant potatoes when I was a newbie gardener who didn't even drill the holes for drainage.
996.jpg

Yesterday, this bucket got a new assignment and became a small water feature. It looked pretty happy about the new role.
1704.jpg

Before I left here, some old stone plates in the corner got my attention. Maybe....

And then, I moved the bottomless planting stones from the front door (They were not used after we bought them earlier due to the difficulty of accessing water and insufficient sunlight.) Kraft paper recycled from the paper bags are used as a temporary bottom.
1885.jpg

I have a lot of strawberry plants, so this morning, this water feature evolved.
1867.jpg

So far, I am happy about the re-purposed items here, from the bucket to the strawberry plants. I still have some fine-tune ideas, so let me update you next week.

1889.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Schleiden: Joyful

Gorgeous salad green: Saragossa
1927_0.jpg

A funny Dahlia tuber, sprouting from four directions
1924.jpg

Lupine on the way; I will have tons of colorful flowers this year.
1926.jpg

Tree Rhodrodendons are also on the way.
1929_0.jpg

1922.jpg

Lilies on the way
1925.jpg

Daily fresh eggs (and the second fairy egg!)
1923.jpg

Quail eggs are adorable in the egg cartons.
1930(1).jpg

Fava beans, the flowers of this variety, have a touch of pink.
1931_0.jpg

A lot of blueberries for this year
1932.jpg

Latest posts