Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We can always do something from what we already had and develop the following from a small corner.
996.jpg

Yes, so I took another carton and added some more layers inside - anyway, I just need it for a few months, and I expect that the roots will soon hold the soil inside. So, ideally, the carton planters themselves are not so crucial in weeks.
994.jpg

1/3 filled with grass clipping that was dried for days - therefore, I don't worry about the weeds too much.
995.jpg

Mmm, not bad at all
The black planting bags were my birthday gift two or three years ago and were finally used this year. I hope the carton planters can work for crops that can be harvested in a shorter time.

All young okra plants are transplanted in this garden today. The temperature in Cologne will soon rise to 30 degrees C (86F) next week; I believe those plants will enjoy the high temperature here.
998.jpg

I also added two disassembled cartons to cover part of this small area to block weeds. As the covered area is a pathway, I might use the pruned materials (like the golden bell in the corner) as mulching.
997.jpg

I will keep using the chop and drop method for weeding and carton-planters for the rest areas for growing veggies and flowers.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Keep working; I got this head to dig holes on the plastic planter. It's originally a plastic raised bed, but the quality is pretty poor. Well, we all made mistakes and bought the wrong items. However, our experiences could still make things right again. I decided to remove its legs and drill more holes for better drainage.
1032.jpg

Okay, now it is back on duty again. The parsley plants here are bought from the discounter. One small pot herb (basil, parsley, mint, and oregano are the items always available.) costs around one Euro. It's a common trick here to buy and then divide them.
1019.jpg

Usually, one pot can be divided into 6-10 smaller pots. I put the split plants in the area (besides the staircase, no direct sunlight, very suitable for propagating cuttings.), and after a short time, they develop new roots well.
888.jpg

For me, this root status is good enough to be transplanted.
1031.jpg

After working for a few more hours, mmm, the vegetable area in this garden also grows bigger. :D :D :D
1010.jpg

Not everyone has such a chance to renovate the second garden, so I treasure and enjoy working in it very much. I cleaned up further; at least 60% of the garden is now a plain instead of a jungle. Now, the vegetables will grow while I am working on the other areas.

Tomorrow I will use the hardware cloth I used earlier to make the quail coop to support the peonies.
1013.jpg

I will plant a row of peas along one side of the quail coop so the peas have a ready trellis to climb.
1011.jpg

The jungle area, or we call it "wildlife corner" first? I can clean this area much later and use pots to plant Dahlias for some fascinating display.
1009.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wildflower Patch in the Small Garden

I did this last year with the packaged seeds in our own garden, and the result is pretty okay. Last year, I collected seeds from the flowers and will try again in the small garden.

As they are wildflowers, I don't need to prepare a very perfect environment for them. I chose a half-shady area (the corner on the right side, behind the quail coop), cut all weeds, and covered one thick layer of dried grass clipping as temporary mulching.

I don't even cover this area with cartons because I don't care if those wildflower seeds have to compete with the weeds here. According to my experience last year, most of them will successfully germinate and grow up.

1021.jpg

I mixed the collected seeds with soil, put a thick layer (soil with seeds) directly on the mulching materials, and then watered them. I will cover this small area with such things. As the weather remains dry, the only care I need for this area is to give water every two days.
1024.jpg

1020.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I worked in both gardens today and enjoyed arranging cut flowers and propagating softwood cuttings in the evening. In the past three years, I have collected six varieties of Lilac, plus the one that existed in the garden, now there are seven of them. They blossom in early to mid-May, elegant and fragrant.

1146.jpg

1153.jpg

1152.jpg

1156_0.jpg

Tulips are almost done, and I have cleaned up most of the flower heads to ensure no energy is wasted on producing seeds.
1142_0.jpg

4078.jpg

My paradise
1151_0.jpg

Homegrown goodies
4056(1).jpg

1140.jpg

1139.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The last batch tulips this year
1266.jpg

I really love the way a vertical planter like this can present.
1263.jpg

Rhododendrons are waiting to get on the stage. I guess, in another two weeks they will be in full bloom.

This one is the birthday gift I bought for myself last year, a fragrant variety.
1253.jpg

1254.jpg

Magenta-colored Tree Rhododendrons
1265.jpg

1272.jpg

Vegetables everywhere, I like to collect a little bit of everything.
1171.jpg

Strawberries are on the way.
1274.jpg

Besides a Bird Cherry, I also got a volunteer purple-leaved filbert (Corylus maxima 'Purpurea'). The color of the foilage is amazingly pretty.
1258.jpg

Kyoho grapes - already their third year
I bought two very young plants in 2019 spring. They grow quite quickly this spring, and it looks promising. Hopefully, I have the chance to get some nice grapes this year.
1257_0.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5