Phaedra's Garden 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Steve, yes, it's also called here Show and Tell - really a showy variety.
Show & Tell.jpg

I should have had a picture of the first bloom of this frontyard plant about the time you posted your photograph ;).

Show and Tell work well for us. Some dinnerplate-size dahlia varieties will only have time for 1 bloom / season. Those aren't really a showy choice.

Steve :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 51986

I should have had a picture of the first bloom of this frontyard plant about the time you posted your photograph ;).

Show and Tell work well for us. Some dinnerplate-size dahlia varieties will only have time for 1 bloom / season. Those aren't really a showy choice.

Steve :)
Ya, and my another dinnerplate variety - cafe au lait are just about to blossom, really late!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Keep harvesting and cleaning up the space - many seedlings are waiting to be transplanted. I seldom grow anything that we can't consume or even become burdens. Some are for adding more varieties, colors, and flavors to the daily intake.
7415.jpg

lovely 😍
7416.jpg

Also the herbs from the window sill~
9174.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a rainy day again. The continuous rain makes the garden so energetic. Most of the damaged lawn becomes lovely green quickly, and the new seeds (grass, different clovers, alfalfa, and green manure radish) are also sprouting.

I cleaned the tool shed and the working area in the greenhouse.

The space is reorganized, and I added one light (rechargeable, with a motion sensor). During day time, the transparent piece on the roof secures the brightness. With the newly attached light, it's now bright enough in the early morning or evening inside the shed.
9266.jpg

My lovely "office" in the working area of the greenhouse~
7441.jpg

The first pot of propagated garden Chrysanthemum started showing the color. :love
7448.jpg

Seedless grapes (rose dream) from a young plant~
7449.jpg

It takes a long time to see them (growing from seeds) finally blossom.
7450.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad that you are feeling better and back to normal. Interesting that you give the chickens marigolds. I once read an article that showed rows of orange blooming marigolds that were picked and added to chicken feed (in Mexico) to add their color to the egg yolks and fat. I don't know if this is still done. When I only had 2 hens, I saved shrimp hulls and gave then a few each day. I was rewarded with orange yolks with swirls of pink (boiled eggs) and a creamy texture.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I finished the winter house for the quails. It looks nice with my potted plants.
7647_0.jpg

We cut the plastic panels for the common greenhouse and built the weather-protection pieces. In fact, it's a mini-greenhouse.

Some gaps for ventilation
7669.jpg

7651_0.jpg

Bobo is checking the construction quality.
7658.jpg

Bobo-approved!
7660.jpg

Well, I think it's enough to protect them from the wind, rain, and snow~
7670.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first propagated rose in 2022 spring - it grows very well. As it's a new plant from the softwood cutting, not the grafted roses on the market, I am so pleased to see the new cane shooting from the roots!
10131_0.jpg

In less than three months, the ten black elderberry cuttings became ten new plants.

7782.jpg

Their root systems are amazingly strong. I re-potted them into the 11L pots and pinched them again.
10158.jpg

The cuttings I processed at the end of July (the second batch) are also developing nicely. They are gooseberries, blackcurrants, grapes, climbing roses, and Fuchsia.
7790.jpg

Look at the roots!
10130_0.jpg

I put all the first three batches of cuttings in the same raised bed now and will build a simple cold frame for them.

7795.jpg

There is still the 4th batch from early September. Some have nice roots already, but the root systems might be too fragile to stay outside. I guess the 4th batch might need to stay in the greenhouse before the next spring.
10160.jpg

Meanwhile, after so many practices on the most common and cost-effective varieties, I bought some fancier Geraniums and MUMs for the next level of hands-on.
10162.jpg

They were also propagated from cuttings. I won't do anything to them now; I just provide a comfortable place for them to grow. I will take the softwood cuttings next spring/summer.
10159.jpg

Latest posts