Pileated Woodpecker

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, why not share some more birding photos from our area? Really got into taking photographs and documenting the different species last year.

View attachment 33796
Female Northern Cardinal with an insect in her beak

View attachment 33795
Only shot (blurry) I've managed of an Indigo Bunting

View attachment 33797
Male Scarlet Tanager

View attachment 33798
Mourning Dove

View attachment 33792
Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird

View attachment 33791
Eatern Towhee singing in a Pine tree

View attachment 33790
Male Summer Tanager

View attachment 33793
Hermit Thrush I believe
I am amazed to recognize so many of those birds from my back yard. My favorite is your indigo bunting. Are they not the prettiest? It is so cool to see a whole little flock of them feeding at once.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic - I have been struggling to get a good photo of the Bunting all year but those sneaky little birds are good about hiding out of view. And when they show up here, it's one or two of them instead of a group.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer Tanagers hang out on my garden. Indigo Buntings Feed on the ground under the bird feeder, never at the bird feeder. Cardinals on snowy ground are so pretty too. Love the birds!

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had some pictures of Carolina Chickadees and some other Eastern Phoebes and Carolina Wrens but it would take digging to find. I love photography so much- not great at it, but really enjoy it!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah! Great pics! We have a few different kinds of woodpeckers come to our suet feeder, but I don't believe the pileated has. Last year we had about 15 cardinals come regularly to feed, but so far this year I have only seen a couple. My claim to fame was getting photos of a leucistic cardinal a few years ago. He came to or patio feeder for several days, then just never came back. I'm sure his unusual coloring made him a target. (White body and pink wings, tail and head.)
I'm surprised you were able to get a pic of the Indigo Bunting. They don't seem to stay still long enough to photograph. I see them mostly on dusty country roads in May and June, dust bathing.