Planning New Strategy for Eternal War on Slugs (UGH)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Toads will eat them like candy too. :sick You can put out things to give toads some cover, like a terra cotta pot turned on its side and half buried in among the flowers/veggies. I had a rough cut board I had left lying in the garden last year after using it to mark a row. When I went to pick it up, 5 small black toads hopped out! So I put it back and left it there all summer. You want to be careful not to spray anything toxic that will harm the toads though.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a LOT of snow cover this year which means an extended period of very wet ground. So I thought while my mind was on the slimy critters I would look into the best strategies for baiting.
I will probably rely on my toads and birds, for now, but I found some helpful tips ...

For continual slug infestations it is recommended to apply baits in Spring, so it is the major food source. And again in Fall to reduce the population before they lay eggs. More great info here - Oregon State U Extension

Also, it is safe for pets and wildlife if applied as directed. If you apply more heavily, like for a bait station, please be certain it is not accessible to your pets - SFGate - Sluggo

I don't recall what cautions were listed on the product, as it's been a while since I've used it. But sometimes when products are labeled 'safe' and 'natural' the cautions can sometimes be overlooked.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender, thank you.

I have seen the sparrows fly right down and eat the Sluggo!

It probably isn't the safest thing around something that is really hungry. Phosphorous, what, glow in the dark? Iron, must not be good for the blood to get a load of it. Something has to kill those slugs.

Steve
edit: ah ha! "Cereal-based "

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' ... I always try to keep in my mind - if it is harmful to one creature it is almost certain to be harmful to another. :)

I wondered how effective birds were at helping to control slugs. Slugs are out at night and most birds eat during the day. Robins and red wings are always in my vegetable garden, turning and throwing the leaf mulch, even pulling up the newspaper. I've never asked them what they are eating in there, but that garden has less slug problems than some that are closer to the house.

It may also help that I tend to sluff off a bit and not get it mulched right away after planting, allowing the topsoil to dry out a bit during the day in Spring. I'm just hoping for no explosion and swiss cheese hostas again! :fl

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender, thank you.

I have seen the sparrows fly right down and eat the Sluggo!

It probably isn't the safest thing around something that is really hungry. Phosphorous, what, glow in the dark? Iron, must not be good for the blood to get a load of it. Something has to kill those slugs.

Steve
edit: ah ha! "Cereal-based "

Some might find that fortuitous. :p Those house sparrows are a whole other problem.

(I really wouldn't want to poison a sparrow, either way.)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has been a long time since anyone has mentioned DE as a solution for slugs. Safe -- it is the remains of sea shelled animals from the past -- it cuts the slugs soft bottom as they crawl over the tiny sharp edges of the DE.

It is much better than salt and safer than Slug-O. As long as the slugs and snails have to walk over the DE before reaching plant leaves, they should be effected.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the idea of ducks, but am not in a position right now to take care of them. I could offer them a feast of slugs, but not much else right now. I like the idea, though!! A friend of mine has ducks, maybe I could talk to her about letting her ducks take a 'vacation' in my yard. I could start learning about how to take care of them.

Latest posts