Planting flowers

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I spent the whole day planting flowers in the window boxes around my gazebo. I still have to plant around the outside of the gazebo. I got a lot done today but still have quite a bit to get done. I will post pictures later. :weee:ya

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am hoping to get some garden planted Sunday before the rains begin. Wonderful, amazing son used the weedwacker on the veggie garden paths Friday. They were so overgrown with tall weeds and grasses that a lawn mower just wouldn't have made it through.

Today I went through four of the garden beds and got them weeded for a third time so they are ready for planting.

Spouse mowed today using the garden tractor! He has never mowed with it since I purchased it some 18 years ago. With his sore finger, he couldn't think of anything he could do so, with a little instruction, he mowed the old orchard and all of the play yard between the orchards.

With this being the first mowing of the year and all the grasses and weeds well past a suitable height for mowing, it meant mowing about half a swathe and stopping to clean the mower deck multiple times per round trip. Since he couldn't clean the deck without getting off the mower, and since the blade (PTO) had to be turned off to get off the mower, I figured he couldn't hurt himself.

He did a great job, that part of the mowing got completed, and he felt great for being able to get the work done. Of course, I raced around with the lawn mower catching around the trees and other obstacles, and mowing under low branches so he wouldn't get them in his face or hair, but it was a labor of love to be helping him with the mowing.

He hurt his finger working with son to get the field mower deck going. When he got hurt the deck and PTO on the tractor got damaged as well. Son now has the mower back in good shape and will hopefully be able to finish all the first mowing with the field tractor. No cleaning that out every few yards!

I can keep the grasses down as long as the equipment keeps running. Having the mower down for a week after weeks of rainy weather just got me too far behind.

Bad news on the court case set for May 28/29. The Judge's daughter is having surgery and the Judge is going to be with their daughter, so the date has been set back another month. I so want this over with! Now it seems, we will be waiting until June 18th for a resolution.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smart Red, Our grass was cut just last week and looked like it hadn't been touched all spring. We had a few days of cool weather and rain. Now it's time to get the flowers and garden in. I will help Monty J as much as I can in the garden.
Sorry to hear that the court hearing has been pushed back again!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@lesa I will be enjoying the flowers all summer long! I'm lucky enough to have helpers this year. My girls have been helping.... while Monty J is doing other "honey do" chores.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red I know about the grass and weeds getting out of hand! The yard and the lot both got REALLY bad during a rainy stretch then the Cub Cadet broke. Then had to wait for parts. I joked that we should have had someone come and bale it. DH spent all of Friday evening and ALL day Saturday mowing. It looks great. I should have been out weeding again but am suffering a bad bout of VERTIGO. :sick
Also sorry to hear that the court case was move back. :(

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee, I have found that the leaf collector will pick up most of the grass (that would otherwise need baling) so I can mow properly once it is up. If not for the leaf collector, we would be raking and raking and raking some more to get the cut grass (or hay, by this time) off the lawn.