Please Disregard This Thread

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red, On my Samsung, there is a real button on the front, bottom, that turns it off or on. I changed my phone so that pushing that button answers the phone call. It has one of those "swipe to the left" actions that was supposed to answer, and it would never work for me. If you want to do this, and can't figure it out, PM me and I will try to walk you through it.
I had to buy a Samsung for Dummies book, and just recently bought a Windows 10 for Seniors for Dummies book. Talk about a double whammy! But I figured I may as well own up to it, lol.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a book called "Basics," on the new books shelf at the library.

It is written by David Pogue. I've read a few of his online articles and enjoyed seeing him on Nova a few years back. I decided to look at a list of the other books he has written.

Whoa! The guy has written or edited just a ton of stuff! Nearly all of it over about the last 10 years. What struck me about this was how quickly technology has changed and you could see that just from the titles.

There really isn't much choice beyond jumping in and becoming a user. If for no other reason, just for fun. Since there is so much that is new, young people tend to be continuously engaged. Since it involves communication, there are millions showing millions new stuff every minute of every day! That's one reason that there is so much new. Every hour, somebody grabs the ball and runs off in a new direction. A couple of people catch up and it's "Oh, cool!" radiating like waves in all directions!

I was probably always the kid racing off as fast as by big feet would carry me, perpetually just outside the field of play. And, it always surprised me that I was picked last for the team. Still, I didn't want to be the one stomping off at some point and pouting on the sideline.

The attitude I've tried to maintain is that I choose my involvement, I have my limitations, but I'm a reasonably intelligent guy. If I can't figure it out, it's the fault of whoever put it out there.

If it's consumer technology and it fails for a large segment of the population, some not-so-clever business people are going to find themselves, drifting out to sea on their own little icebergs. And, it happens again and again ...

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, so lucky. I will pm you if my youngest grand doesn't know how to teach me how it's done. Not likely that she doesn't know, huh? All the kids seem to know instinctivly.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Regarding your post, Steve, there's a gal in my exercise classes who is deeply depressed and seems to be entering senility at an alarming rate. Her DH makes her come to class. Drops her off and picks her up later. She was let go from her job.....maybe it was mutual.....but mainly it was because the technology overwhelmed her. She just couldn't get the computer stuff, even though she has been a very competent business woman for 30 years or more.
The whole thing has snowballed, with her thinking herself stupid, her DH being impatient and not willing to take over the caregiver job at home. She comes to class dragging her feet, eyes red from crying, very fragile and low. And in pain. I feel so much empathy for her. It appears a lot like Alzheimer's but I don't think that is the diagnosis. She doesn't really seem to have any moments of clarity, like they say Alzheimer's patients do.
Anyway, I just find the whole thing sad and don't see any good path for her. She could have ended up like this anyway, but the technology aspect looms large.:hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, I am about half way through a book that is something of a guide through local history. The author is not trying to be comprehensive, just things that he, as a historian, has come across.

One major event that he explores is the evidence of a major earthquake in the 1870's. There were few European Americans in the interior of the PNW at that time but there is some accounting for it in Portland newspapers and the quake and aftershocks were felt across hundreds of square miles.

Apparently centered along the Columbia, you can imagine that the geologists were very interested in the evidence with all the dam building that took place, 70 - 100 years later.

Some of the accounting was from Native Americans. One older woman was remembered "'running around, scared, and when it was all over they couldn't find her.' ... it was only after a long time that someone found her body."

Fifty years later, the story of a man driving a lost horse home was related to an anthropologist. In the dark, he came upon an olde woman, standing at a campfire. It was decided that he had seen the spirit of the woman who had run away during the earthquake. It was necessary for her to share herself with someone so that her spirit could find rest.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love those old legends. I had no idea an earthquake took place there at that time. A volcano eruption seems more fitting.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another pic attempt. The white cardinal is coming pretty regularly now.
20160101_161953 (2).jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my Samsung
So Lucky, What Samsung model do you have?

Evernote has a premium service that comes free for a year to Samsung owners of some models, or did come free. I looked up Smart Red's and it wasn't the one. I have no idea what premium costs but anyone (like me ;)) can make use of their limited free service.

Smart Red, you might have good reason to have an online note taking service when you become comfortable using your mobile device. I know, the reason women carry purses is to hold Mead Spiral Notebooks ... but, still.

I find Evernote handy and I'm curious what the premium version amounts to. Besides, "Evernote,
How to Master Evernote in One Hour & Getting Things Done Without Forgetting" is a book about it!

:D Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, mine is a Samsung Galaxy 5. Is Evernote a cloud service, or is storage in the device?
When my old laptop bit the dust, I lost all my garden (and everyday life) journal. It was just stored in the computer. I think I could get my computer geek BIL to retrieve it, but I don't want him over here touching my new one, tweaking it to the point I can't even perform simple tasks. I just hate it when people talk over my head deliberately!
I was able to get our printer hooked up to my new laptop, so I felt pretty good about that.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's the new Galaxy Note, So Lucky.

Evernote is an app but it seems to be a fairly clever one ... if you pay for it. Short of that, I guess it amounts to simple cloud service.

I have put text and attachments, like photos, scans, and music in notes. Access and uploads have gone thru my PC, tablet and phone.

The integration of pen and paper should make some people happy. That's part of the paid service. They have a deal with post-it notes. I'm not kidding but I may not quite understand. Of course, you can always upload a picture but Post-it has special notes with bar codes, I guess. There is also a a notebook-sized notepad from a different company. Anyway, your camera automatically recognizes them and sends them thru the internet ... if it will correct my penmanship, that would be a plus ;).

So, you have traditional pen and paper. Snap a picture, they say it's automatically "corrected" for proper size and ease of viewing. Then, your phone shoots it into the cloud where you can look at it wherever. Toss the post-it note.

Steve

Latest posts