Please show me your walnuts!!! **Pic Added**

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
mirime, you don't like the walnuts? I am excited about it b/c we will have walnuts. YAY!!! What do you do with the wood after you cut them down?

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Today, the house is officially ours :D Although I'm still waiting on Mr. Dingbat ExHomeowner to hand over his keys!

We stopped in today to see if their stuff was moved out... apparently they're leaving us with a ton of furniture that's trashed. :rolleyes: How nice...

Anyways, I got a picture of the walnut, though it wasn't the tree I was questioning! I should have paid a bit more attention to the leave buds, since they weren't in yet. LOL!

Here's my walnut; bark and leaves: It's a Black Walnut, right?
2595581013_1f8deb9040.jpg

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
looks like it to me, keep in mind they only get walnuts every other year. I love them.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wish mine only got walnuts every other year. They have walnuts every year.

Don't put your garden by the walnut trees. They are very toxic and your garden won't do well.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
I wish mine only got walnuts every other year. They have walnuts every year.

Don't put your garden by the walnut trees. They are very toxic and your garden won't do well.
Really? I remember having a walnut out back our house in Jersey when I was really little. There were always nuts on it. We were at the new house cleaning today and I noticed small fuzzy looking cherry sized 'fruits' on the tree, so I'm assuming it will produce this year? I should have taken a picture.

I know they're toxic and I plan to plant the garden on the other side of the house in the 'pasture'. I haven't decided how big I'd like to make it yet, but I'll probably do at least HALF the yard. If I had to guess, I'd say that's 40x80...

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When you folks are saying toxic, what do you mean? Could you elaborate a little bit more? Are the trees toxic to chickens? Are they toxic to children? Or just other plants?

oh and I finally have pics of my trees uploaded to my computer. Don't know why, but it wouldn't work right for the longest time. I'll post them here in a minute. I know you don't need them for identification purposes anymore Shelley, but I am soo proud of them!!

Also can anyone tell me if the "male" tree produces nuts or just the female? I have one tree that has no fruit on it, but all the others do. Is this b/c it's male(I saw the flowers on it that are characteristic of male trees) Or does this mean that it will produce next year and not this one, and someone had mentioned they do? Thanks!!

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok here are my trees! YAY!!

countrylifeandboredom083.jpg

countrylifeandboredom087.jpg

countrylifeandboredom084.jpg

ET to change the picture size....but I still think these are kinda big! I sized them to website size on photobucket, are these too big?

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I believe it is a walnut Shellie...I think it's a black walnut..it looks so much like one, but maybe someone else knows more and will be able to identify it with more confidence. :)

Latest posts