Post your Garden Preparation Jobs here

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My commitment to peas is 1/3rd of what it is usually, at most! Haven't had so few peas in a decade or more.

Anyway, the neighbor was kindly throwing some water on the bed in the little veggie garden where the peas have taken up residence this year. Yep. Flattened them right out . . .

So, it is "build a trellis day" - maybe a few days late :rolleyes:. Wow. It used to be such a laborious event!

Steve

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ducks;; It took my son 2 days to get the root of our mulberry out he also used a sawsall...back braking work

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It took me four days to dig holes for 3 azaleas, in the concrete that kinda grows grass in our upper yard, under the pine trees. I had to soak the ground first, cut the sod off, then soak again. Dig about 3 inches down, cut out tree roots, soak some more. Dig the rest of the way, widen out to twice the size of the pot, soak some more. Amend soil with aluminum sulfate and compost, soak some more. Plant azaleas, soak some more. Now I'm trying to kill out the grass growing around them so I can plant some accompanying ferns, plant a couple big rocks, mulch the whole thing and then admire it.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I preped the plot for the cucumbers and squashes...slow going but I will get there...

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted the top two sections of our garden. Two rows of different Sunflowers with some corn in between to be appealling to my eye. In front of them, Bush Beans.

Next level down, Peas, Kale, Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts. Next weekend the rest will go in!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I picked up 20 1X2 8 footers and a large roll of twine to make more garden trellises starting probably tomorrow for mostly the beans, but want to make some kind of support for my "Golden Pod" selection of Golden Sweet Peas that are really running vigorously. The Sunflowers will need staking soon, so may as well set some up for some of the faster ones now. And I'll want to rack in the Oats just to make sure I get no lodging. Then there's hiding the Tomato plant from any Gophers that may be watching...

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put in broccoli and cabbage yesterday and a 6 foot section of onion sets...I feel like I am progressing...all but one flat is out under the canope hardening off..biggest job will be this weekend...

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
April Manier said:
Stubbornhill! WOW on those terraced beds. Love it. Looks like you have some good land!!!!!!!
hahaha! Thanks April. I love our property. Our land on the other hand....well it's stubborn! Rocks, rocks, boulders, rocks, pebbles with the occasional bit of dirt and more rocks. You can't put a spade in the ground without hitting a rock.

Sooo....we have to haul loam in. We did last year for 3 terraced beds and this year, we were able to add 2 more beds by stretching out the loam and adding in our compost. Thanks to the herd! Hopefully there will soon be pics with vegatation. :D

Latest posts