Potatoes, from the Patch

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:hitLost food is very sad.
I grew about 4 Sweet potatoes This year bc DD left a beauregard in her plastic vegetable bin and it sprouted.
She has done this before. When she lived an hour away, in an apartment, she left one on the counter and it sprouted. She put it in a small pot and had a nice houseplant.
I like the idea of potting it with several inches of soil above it INSIDE. I plan to do this next Month (for next year) and use whatever sweet potatoes I can find at the store. The ones that I grew This year overwintered on my inside growlight/heat mat shelving in the basement. I kept it alive and planted in July.
I Think I will plant next year's earlier and cover it with clear plastic to keep it warm. Maybe use some other warming of the soil measures, too.

Last edited:

john

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow didn't know potatoes were such a problem. I just get a couple old ones from the bag in the garage that started growing cut them up and plant them and dig them up when they are done and have a couple meals from them. Some make it some don't.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
ALL of those baskets are now lower, altho I have been selective and prompted lately by indications of sprouting.

This little cellar room is too prone to outdoor conditions. The temperature stays below 50°f (10°C) which is cooler than the attached basement. However, that's not very good for potato storage.

The garbage truck will be carrying off some Purple Majesty potatoes. Despite having learned to appreciate purple potatoes, there were plenty of Red Norlands to choose from and the purples began to sprout very early. I saved a few but I'm rather reluctant to try planting them. The only bad season that I have had with potatoes was a year when I used my own seed. Besides, scab is always a minor problem - I don't want it to be a major one!

The reds will have to be finished soon. Sprouting is happening and, it is my understanding that toxins begin to develop in sprouted potatoes not just in those that begin to turn green with exposure to sunlight. I haven't noticed any changes in flavor, which is supposed to indicate toxins.

Temperatures are forecast to drop to single digits for several nights. There will be some late cooling to the cellar. Really, this is about the best I can hope for with storage. It's LATE February - I suppose we can say ;). BTW, the Russets are doing absolutely fine! My first late potato crop in years and no sprouts in late storage.

Steve
lost a couple of squash but still have several nice ones, including one for dinner last night.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it is my understanding that toxins begin to develop in sprouted potatoes not just in those that begin to turn green with exposure to sunlight.

I'd not heard this before about sprouted potatoes. In some quick searching just now, it looks like the toxins are very high in the sprout itself. I wonder if it actually affects the flesh of the potato?

Thanks for the 'heads up'! I'll keep an eye out for more info.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd not heard this before about sprouted potatoes. In some quick searching just now, it looks like the toxins are very high in the sprout itself. I wonder if it actually affects the flesh of the potato?
I had always heard the sprouts were toxic. I cut them off when peeling taters to cook or to eat raw. I have eaten many raw potatoes and have never had any ill effects from doing so whether sprouted or not. The green does taste bitter if eaten raw.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Tomato plant, potato plant, and other members of their family contain a toxic chemical. I think I know what it's called. I'm too lazy to look it up so I won't mention what I think it is. One bite won't contain enough to kill you or even make you sick but if you eat enough it can.

It would not surprise me if the potato sprouts contain some of that chemical, I'd expect them to. But I don't know why the potato itself would. I've eaten potatoes where I scraped the sprouts off and haven't had a problem, no sickness and not even a bad taste.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always thought the toxicity was more of a long-term thing (assuming you're consuming normal amounts), like a load on your liver that can eventually be problematic. No idea where I got that impression.

Also it seems that some people cannot tolerate nightshades. We know someone like that, but I cannot recall her symptoms.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it comes with a bitter taste ..

. that provides some guidance and I hope it's so.

It's good to have the abundance to avoid what you are not sure is a healthy choice. Like I was for years, being suspicious of potato flesh that was purple .. :oops:! Persnicketiness with veggies is a blessing not to be taken lightly. (Probably so declared by my Irish American grandmother.)

:) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always thought the toxicity was more of a long-term thing (assuming you're consuming normal amounts), like a load on your liver that can eventually be problematic. No idea where I got that impression.

Also it seems that some people cannot tolerate nightshades. We know someone like that, but I cannot recall her symptoms.

the reaction i get to eating potatoes raw is pretty much instantaneous. cooked they don't bother me. when i peel them if they are green i make sure to remove as much of the green as i can.

tomatoes and peppers don't bother me at any stage and i often eat those raw or as i'm doing food prep.

i don't eat the greens or let the plant sap get on my skin, wear long sleeves when picking, wash my hands when done picking or peeling, i think these kinds of measures help me avoid a lot of troubles. :)

Latest posts