Power is Out & Cold on the Way

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Cane, how can you even type! I hope your power comes back on soon!

Steve, is your power out too?

It was -7 when I woke up this morning, a record broken for this area not since 1947 I think they said. And the power went out shortly thereafter from about 7:30am to 1:00pm. I had to wait for my Bunn (the coffeemaker, that is...not my buns...LOL) to warm back up before I could even have coffee. It's a little late in the day for it now, but I had to have the coffee to thaw out my brain!

I can't believe how quickly the cold moved in once the power was off. I had the house so nice and toasty all night with the fire wide open and even got up in the middle of the night to add more wood to the fire. When it's this windy, you can feel it coming in on the western side of the house.

The kids shot up out of bed early and ran circles around me in the cold, dark house all morning. The toddler was trying to peel off her layers because I guess she felt too restricted, nevermind that her hands were icy and her lips were purple. :/ I couldn't even get them to cuddle up with me under blankets on the couch. They kept each other warm by bickering and meddling all morning. :p The woodstove was still going, but it only really heats the basement and the livingroom some when the blower is off. Who wants to curl up in the basement with the spiders? Not me!

Thankful it's back on now! We were just about to give up and go to town when it came back on.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey11, so glad to hear the your power is back on. Losing power in the winter is NEVER fun! We were without power for 23 hours once. There were power lines down right in our driveway so we couldn't even escape to a warmer spot. Right after that, I bought a propane cookstove and a few other necessities for black outs. I still want to purchase a small-ish generator so I can use the well, furnace, and such part of the time.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Power back on!
sFun_crazydance.gif

Climbing to almost 62!
Hope it stays on tonight. But I'm coming in tomorrow PREPARED! (including the little 'out law' heater to hide under my desk)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, a generator is definitely on the "list"! We've borrowed my MIL's a couple times. They're 15 minutes down the road, but on a different sub-station than we are, so luck usually has it that we're not out at the same time.

How creepy to be stuck behind downed powerlines and have to wait for the power crew to get to you. At least with a tree down or snow, you might have options to remove them yourself. 4WD wouldn't do you any good in that situation.

Summer 2012's derecho left us sitting here in 104 degree heat with no air conditioning. We did have the generator to run some smaller things, so I sat with my feet in a pan of cold water and had a fan going. Don't really know which is worse! Either one would make you think it was the worst at the time. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I wasn't without power.

I was just at a location where I could use the wireless while waiting for the library to open. They must have been economizing on the heat :/.

In fact, the dang chair was too spare for winter weather, too! Overstuffed is the only way to go - I couldn't even unzip my jacket!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a call from BFF2 that she had tried all day to reach her sister and she was worried. I drove to BFF1's house to find that she was just fine. The car thermometer read -1 degrees (F) when I left the house, not too cold for slippers, housecoat, and hair in wet curlers. After we called her sister and put her mind at rest I drove home. Now the car reads -14 degrees (F)! DANG, IT IS COLD! Definitely toooooo cold for driving on icy roads in dishabille.

Latest posts