1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Pre-emergents for grasses

Discussion in 'Lawns & Landscaping' started by murphysranch, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Nov 2, 2018
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

I pretty much agree with this. When we sold our 3 acres in Arkansas this spring I kept the area mowed and trimmed much better than normal but it was not all grass. I usually let dandelions go so I can make Dandelion Jelly. Some areas were more Johnson grass than lawn grass. It looked neat but certainly not all good lawn grass. You want decent curb appeal but that probably means neat more than anything else. Curb appeal won't sell the house but lack of curb appeal can be a bad start.

We did not get an offer until I got the outside cleaned up and a lot of junk hauled away. I don't know how much of that was coincidence, it did not take that long for an offer anyway. If you are going to spend energy outside I think you are better off hauling junk away and de-cluttering. One of the interesting comments I heard from my agent was that the buyer really liked the chicken coop, she wanted to raise chickens. You never know what will strike a chord.

Inside is ultimately what will sell it. Talk to your agent if you are going to use one, see what they recommend doing. De-clutter the inside of your house. Box stuff up or get rid if it. Most real estate agents would prefer your furniture to be gone if possible so they can imagine their furniture in there. Make any obvious repairs and touch-up paint where needed. Deep clean, then de-clutter some more.

Selling a house is stressful, I can attest to that. It will take work getting ready. Try to stick with the basics, you'll have enough to do.

2. Nov 2, 2018
    murphysranch

murphysranch Garden Addicted

OK, maybe I won't worry about the lawn. Out West lawns are trophy points. Silly I think.

Hubs has agreed to remodel the kitchen. We already had ordered and paid for all new appliances. We bought used cabinets last spring. Everything is in the 3 car garage. Oh, and a new sink, pendant lights and such. He wanted to abandon it all, but since he's going to get this house on his side of the balance sheet and sell it, he's motivated to get 'er done now.

Love you all for the wise advice. Truly.

flowerbug and thistlebloom like this.
  3. Nov 3, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

i wouldn't either... mow it regular, mow it taller and that helps smother the weeds. if you have rabbits about they'll eat the dandelions and plantains out of there at times. crab grass is encouraged by low mowing. i used to weed it out by hand until Mom started spraying along edges so she wouldn't have to cut them by hand or trim them, but once she started doing that it left the ground bare and crab grass would take off from there. so i gave up/don't care any more about the grass.

i'd smother it all with cardboard and wood chips. :) that's my pre-emergent...

good luck all around MR!

murphysranch likes this.