pretty little weed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went thru this:

Virginia Tech Weed Index

Got off on the horsetail that borders one corner of my garden but made it thru A to Z without something more like your weed jumping out at me. One thing that I may be learning about myself, besides not wanting to think about weeds for 6 months out of the year, is that I recognize names better than plants. Weird ... eh?

STeve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
White goose neck loosestrife is quite often seen in perennial gardens, it can get rambunctious tho. I used to grow a couple of the sterile varieties of purple loosestrife but pulled them and let them dry up before disposing when I found out that they could produce pollen and seed. Such a pretty plant but so dangerous.

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I may as well leave it be. It's in a bed that is nothing but things that folks have told me I would regret letting into my yard. What's one more? And this one is pretty.

This made me smile my garden is full of rambunctious plants, they crowd out the weeds:).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
...an example....
DSCN5331.JPG

I let them do their thing and pull where I don't want them. My garden is like me unruly at the best of times ;).

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...an example....View attachment 26709
I let them do their thing and pull where I don't want them. My garden is like me unruly at the best of times ;).

Annette

i *heart* gardens like that. :) i have my own chaos gardens, Mom hates them because they are often not very tidy looking, but my philosophy is that they are the absolute last priority for weeding because the other more formal gardens get first dibs on my time (the gardens inside the fence vs. gardens outside the fence). i have three rather large areas and right now i've not touched them much since last fall and they do look very messy right now, but that's just the way it is.

today we'll get some work done on the nearest garden where i plant my overflow/bonus/maybe won't make it beans (because they are outside the fence).

i just like that they have flowers of various kinds and a weed growing in a spot that doesn't have some other plant means at least that the space is being productive and using the energy from the sun, plus the weed is also shading and protecting the soil from the wind/rain/sun. later on when i get a chance all those weeds become worm food. i have strawberries i'm trying to get established in all these spaces and so when weeding i have to always make sure to not pull them up.

i gotta get too it though this week at least in some spots i have thistles starting to flower... i love the flowers but those seeds go flying everywhere...

Latest posts