Price increases and shortages

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Continuing shortages of canning supplies, lids especially.
Hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that shortage won't change any time soon. If people are desperate enough to buy jars with lids, or more expensive sets of rings & lids, the canning companies have little incentive to change things.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The shortage of new cars has driven up the price of used cars.
It's ALL about politics. DH wanted a new car last Fall. We took money out of investments and bought a 2021 Toyota Avalon, but KEPT the 2012 Toyota Avalon, now MY "new" car, with (now) 192K miles on it.
Glad we made those decisions.
I also own my new riding mower, also a Kubota, like my tractor. It cost 4x as much as what I could have bought at Lowe's, but a better machine, with a 4 year warranty.
I am SOOO frugal, but, when I have been window shopping, and I see a good deal or a need, I try to jump on it.
DD's and we both use ERA for our clothes. I am waiting for a good deal. I have calculated a year's worth of laundry detergent, and I intend to buy a year's worth for both households, bc I have the room to store it.
Even if you DON'T have a lot of room, consider those things that you use daily/monthly and, next time you buy them, buy 2. I got through 2 large bottles of Dish detergent every year, and it doesn't take a lot of room to store the 2nd one. Doesn't take a lot of room to store and extra bottle of your favorite shampoo. Next time you shop in an inflationary economy, same product Will cost more, but you will have spent a little bit less, and this adds up $.
Also, be frugal and rinse out completely your detergent containers before you throw them away. I can get a full load of laundry by completely rinsing out the large ERA container. You rinse it until it no longer rinses soapy. I have done this for decades, and I know that I have spent less$ bc of it.
Just some thoughts...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I notice that Staples is now offering good deals, again, but you have to watch for them. They used to have 8 years of "daily deals" before 2017. (Think about it.)
You could get an office supply sometimes for 50% off.
They are inching back to this. I had an online order recently, total ~$100.00
With the rebates and coupons that THEY sent ME, my total, including S&H for $8.99
I am not a whiz at this, nor do I NOT have a life searching for deals.
I CAN write office supplies off as business expenses.
Right now, between the home office and the Law Office, there are 2 color laser printers NOT printing in color.
Printers ALWAYS come with an original toner(s) and they are ALWAYS 1/2 of the amount of toner in a new one.
Both printers ran out of their color toners. One is ONLY a color toner and cannot be used, but it is practically brand new.
Both sets of 4 new toners cost about the $same.
I am waiting for sometime this year, when Staples has 1/2 price of toners, and I intend to spend the ~$350.00 the buy a set for each.
Btw, laser toners don't dry out and become useless with no use, like ink jet toners do.
Knowledge is power.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that shortage won't change any time soon. If people are desperate enough to buy jars with lids, or more expensive sets of rings & lids, the canning companies have little incentive to change things.

lids have been available here off and on again, just have to keep checking every time we shop.

Wyndsong

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@Prairie Rose you are on the front lines. You are watching as prices are on track to hit the moon, you are watching as supplies of food don’t show up. Sounds like a lot of bare spots on the shelves are coming.
Land is crazy high everywhere. We bought at the right time, we couldn’t afford to buy our place now! By all means, buy your own land. If you don’t like where you live, vote with your feet and move.
We bought our property last year at exactly the right time. Not two months after we closed, the value of the house was almost 50K more than we bought it. Now it’s probably worth even more. I’m thankful we were able to get it when we could though. If we tried to buy something now, with our business slowing down and wages increasing, not sure we could have afforded it. Out here now, Dairy Queen is offering 11/hr! We almost can’t compete with that. The work we do is rather stressful and is all computer/phone based in the trucking industry. But it’s not rocket science either. My cousin, who is on unemployment right now is bringing home 18.75/hr to sit on her ass until September!! We can’t even compete with unemployment!! In town here there’s a shortage of workers because no one wants to go to work at a fast food place for less than they can for sitting on their asses. I really don’t like this timeline!! Someone needs to come out of the shower and wake Pamela Ewing up already!

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We bought our property last year at exactly the right time. Not two months after we closed, the value of the house was almost 50K more than we bought it. Now it’s probably worth even more. I’m thankful we were able to get it when we could though. If we tried to buy something now, with our business slowing down and wages increasing, not sure we could have afforded it. Out here now, Dairy Queen is offering 11/hr! We almost can’t compete with that. The work we do is rather stressful and is all computer/phone based in the trucking industry. But it’s not rocket science either. My cousin, who is on unemployment right now is bringing home 18.75/hr to sit on her ass until September!! We can’t even compete with unemployment!! In town here there’s a shortage of workers because no one wants to go to work at a fast food place for less than they can for sitting on their asses. I really don’t like this timeline!! Someone needs to come out of the shower and wake Pamela Ewing up already!
Several businesses have shut down in the town where I work. They had plenty of customers but they couldn’t get any employees. Everywhere is hiring I’m considering picking up a part time job because of how well the local places are paying. I love my current job but it doesn’t pay as well as I like. And I’m really sick of the government paying people to sit on there asses. My church runs a local rehab program. A good portion of the men in the halfway house were eligible for the stimulus. Most of them had never made more than minimum wage in their life. Probably the biggest combinations of things that triggers a relapse for these men is having extra money to spend and nothing to do. And that is exactly t he situation this created.
Sorry guess this is my rant for the day. But the whole thing just pisses me off.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Several businesses have shut down in the town where I work. They had plenty of customers but they couldn’t get any employees. Everywhere is hiring I’m considering picking up a part time job because of how well the local places are paying. I love my current job but it doesn’t pay as well as I like. And I’m really sick of the government paying people to sit on there asses. My church runs a local rehab program. A good portion of the men in the halfway house were eligible for the stimulus. Most of them had never made more than minimum wage in their life. Probably the biggest combinations of things that triggers a relapse for these men is having extra money to spend and nothing to do. And that is exactly t he situation this created.
Sorry guess this is my rant for the day. But the whole thing just pisses me off.
I didn't think about the stimulus $ from that point of view, how terribly sad. When I think about it though, the government here has released $ into various groups under the guise of 'compassion' for years, but it's really to create the opposite effect, as they know full well how the money will be used and consumed. Much like the situation you described.

Last edited:

Latest posts