Price increases and shortages

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The only thing to do is to take your stimulus money and put it into your local economy.
Also, prayer.
I don't see a miracle like "fracking" happening this time. Don't know what the anger breaking point is for $cost of gas.
You all know my opinion of the people in charge in D.C.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're in Calif for the month doing a remodel job. I just paid $4.29 a gal for regular gas. One of the vehicles we brought down (drove 2 from Oregon) takes premium. I put mid grade in it instead - $4.45 a gal.

Going where the work is for us right now. Rented out our home for a month (shhhhh - I said she's a house sitter) in order to double dip due to rising costs for everything.

Applied for SS - its been 5 weeks and they are "working on it".

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Groceries are so high, makes me glad that we raise so much of our own food. But it’s all the peripherals that cost so much. I don’t have trees that grow Ziplock bags, shampoo, paper goods, and other household items. I don’t keep a milking animal, so have to buy milk, butter, cheese, and cream for coffee. Soaps, toiletries and my favorite, deck screws! All are going nowhere but up. Reminds me, I’ll be building a chicken coop soon, I need to inventory my deck screws. Need metal roofing screws too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Toilet paper is not to blame for wood shortage, nor high prices. Social distancing, instead of 12 people working a production line, standing shoulder to shoulder, now there are 2. Production from 10 people has ceased. 2 people working as hard as they can, cannot make up for the other 10.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Toilet paper is not to blame for wood shortage, nor high prices. Social distancing, instead of 12 people working a production line, standing shoulder to shoulder, now there are 2. Production from 10 people has ceased. 2 people working as hard as they can, cannot make up for the other 10.

i know, i was just being whimsical...

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Checking into this thread. I'm still in San Jose. Grocery prices down here are absolutely outrageous! Horrible! And I only shop the Wednesday food ads!

Today I paid, not on sale, $4.29 for Thomas English Muffins. There were no store brands available. Only Sara Lee and Thomas. I paid $2.29 for a small head of green leaf lettuce. WHAT???????????? Was the recent heat wave responsible for the price increase? Dunno.

I bought a cantaloupe for $2 and am hoping it won't rot before ripening, like the last one i bought here. Nectarines and peaches were on sale for $1.99 lb. Hard as a rock.

I did find some grocery markdowns, like turkey stock in those boxes for $1.25. Bought two for soaking my old dog's kibble. A family sized can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup conc for $1.25. Good for quick casseroles when I don't have time to make a roux.

I really really really need to get serious about canning something when I get home. Maybe shove some things from the deep freezer into canning jars.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Meats been insane here. Ground beef is $4 or $5 a pound and so are chicken wings. Whole chickens were much cheaper for once though and were about $2 a pound. The single serving containers of yogurt are all $2 or more after tax. This is just what I’ve noticed this week and we are in an area that’s pretty cheap food wise.

Latest posts