Price increases and shortages

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was just reading an article about the lumber price fluctuations and that they've come down quite a bit from the high level of before, but like many businesses that want to work more the lumbermills are having a hard time finding people who want to work. plus, well, it's a very tough job.

talked to my sister today who's in about the same boat as others, they are opened back up to 100% capacity but can't find workers. she says that it is ok where they are at now as it is much less stress to not be running full bore.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Afraid we haven’t seen anything yet.......feed prices (made of corn/soybeans) will continue to rise as both are near highs. Transportation will continue to rise as fuel went up 50%, everyone too lazy to work have gotten pay raises from federal government to stay home, equipment costs (both new and repairs) have almost doubled. Country voted for a change, a change we got....

In fairness, food was only 7% of most family budgets in USA so IF it doubles, only 14%. Most people lump pop, beer, cigarettes, toilet paper, etc in the food budget. Rest of world pays 30-50%.

Sparrow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You all will love this: Last week when shopping at a local grocery store chain I wanted to purchase two organic locally raised chickens. One for us, the people, and one for my dog and cat. There were around 10 for sale and all one day past the sell by date. Normally, they are very low on the organic chickens, so I was surprised. I went to the meat counter and asked if I could purchase them at a discount, that they are for my pets. They actually would have been, since I wouldn't have eaten them past the date. The worker checked with the meat manager and told me they could not sell them at all, because of state regulations. They were just going to throw them away.

I do understand about selling past the sell by date regulations, and just telling them they're for pets doesn't change that.

However, before I drew their attention to this, they were still selling them, as the cashiers don't check the dates of every item they scan.

Hopefully, the employees are allowed to take them home to use, or there's some dumpster divers who can have a barbeque party.

They did have fresher ones to sell me that were in the back that they brought out. Why weren't those out for sale? The store could have put the older chickens on sale two days before expiration, while putting the fresher chickens out.

I did purchase two, so we got one and the animals got one.

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got back from town. Two stores out of the can chicken flavored cat food my cats eat. Other flavors and other chicken just not this one. For a month the organic natural type dish soap we were using as been off the shelves. Another store for the past at least 2 weeks has had an empty spot where cheese used to go but they have other cheese. Signs everywhere to hire and Wendy's closed the inside at 2 and the drive up window at 3 and said no help. Another crazy thing and i am not sure what is going on, but the crazy lady that took my blackberries and said I had enough has been sitting in my neighbor's yard. I thought he was not home and she was waiting for him. She had loud music and was singing and she was talking to herself really loud. DS said she was asking herself questions. Then, yesterday she was back before dark and sat out there talking again. She has been filling a jug up with water. Today, she was in his front yard sitting on his porch while he was out in the yard doing something. I am now wondering if she is homeless. Way too hot to be sitting outside like she has been doing. Also, 98 or so and smoke. Not bad, but I can smell it in the house.

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not newsworthy probably, but I like to get those Steak-Ums to fix for a quick meal if I dont want to spend alot of time cooking.
Couple weeks ago they were $7.49 at Krogers....yesterday they were $8.79......😮
so thats interesting.
When I go to the store, I note the bare shelves, holes, prices of certain items, and have noticed alot to have me concerned.
On Zerohedge, there is an article that stores are stocking up amid concerns of coming shortages due to the drought, locusts, and flooding in other areas. If you dont have it, or you will need it in the future, its strongely suggested to get it now.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not newsworthy probably, but I like to get those Steak-Ums to fix for a quick meal if I dont want to spend alot of time cooking.
Couple weeks ago they were $7.49 at Krogers....yesterday they were $8.79......😮
so thats interesting.
When I go to the store, I note the bare shelves, holes, prices of certain items, and have noticed alot to have me concerned.
On Zerohedge, there is an article that stores are stocking up amid concerns of coming shortages due to the drought, locusts, and flooding in other areas. If you dont have it, or you will need it in the future, its strongely suggested to get it now.

I just read an article that says there are giant swarms of grasshoppers in western USA that can be seen on radar. It has to do with the drought and heat. I have a strange feeling my green beans are in trouble. DS did a lot of weed eating yesterday and I had him come into the garden closer where weeds are out of control, but grasshoppers love the pole bean leaves. I am trying to stock up. We have firewood to get too. I read we could have a more wet than normal and colder winter.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just read an article that says there are giant swarms of grasshoppers in western USA that can be seen on radar. It has to do with the drought and heat. I have a strange feeling my green beans are in trouble. DS did a lot of weed eating yesterday and I had him come into the garden closer where weeds are out of control, but grasshoppers love the pole bean leaves. I am trying to stock up. We have firewood to get too. I read we could have a more wet than normal and colder winter.
Growing tunnels in your future?
I saw this one and thought of you. You don't have to build a spine bc it pops up and folds down.
It reminds me of my portable chicken tractor. VERY EASY to use.

Latest posts