Price increases and shortages

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We went to Düsseldorf shortly yesterday and had our lunch in a Hong-Kong style restaurant. Wow, we were shocked by the price. Well, we didn't eat in any restaurant after the first lockdown, which means about two years.

Kailan (Chinese Broccoli) with oyster sauce charges about 15 euros. Uh, I have plenty of Kailan in my garden, so I gave it up. We enjoyed some complicated dishes like the roasted duck, which is more challenging to handle with an ordinary home oven.

1085.jpg

We also visited a Japanese bakery, and the price was also incredibly high. As I can probably bake 80% of items by myself, we bought nothing.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of Aesop’s Fables moral of the story is, misery loves company, but I’m sorry for rising prices for anybody. No misery loves company here!
I’ve got my daughter looking for me a fuel efficient car. My diesel F250 truck gets 15-18 Miles Per Gallon, about 12 MPG if pulling a trailer. Diesel is up to $5.29 per gallon, I try to not be on the road so much, but here lately that’s not working out so very well. For what I’m paying monthly in fuel, I’m already making a car note and not driving one. NOT giving up my truck though.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of Aesop’s Fables moral of the story is, misery loves company, but I’m sorry for rising prices for anybody. No misery loves company here!
I’ve got my daughter looking for me a fuel efficient car. My diesel F250 truck gets 15-18 Miles Per Gallon, about 12 MPG if pulling a trailer. Diesel is up to $5.29 per gallon, I try to not be on the road so much, but here lately that’s not working out so very well. For what I’m paying monthly in fuel, I’m already making a car note and not driving one. NOT giving up my truck though.
I am reading about diesel rationing or extreme pricing as high as $10 per gallon in the eastern half of the US coming in the next few weeks. Europe was getting half its diesel from Russia and the other half from OPEC. The US does not have the capacity to refine its own to make up the difference and lalala. So when the trucks shut down there goes my gasoline too, since it is shipped by diesel truck. Or at least gas goes higher too if you can get it.

This article reports diesel at $200 per barrel wholesale. Thats 5 per gallon. Oil barrels hold 40 gallons which is a little odd.

FSP0CfjXoAAIh84.png

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Since we moved 30 miles south of town in 1999 I have made a habit of making one trip, many stores. This is nothing new for me.
I am so sorry for the babies who are suffering bc the "Brandon" and his workers crave authority.
I look for specials EVERYWHERE. I bought a big package of Dawn 2x on "clearance" at a rural Dollar General on Saturday. DD and checked and it was $1 less than in town.
IF they have any left this afternoon, I plan to clean them out.
It isn't hoarding.
You can use Dawn to wash practically anything.
UPDATE: Bought 10, cleaned them out. They said the apple scented are discontinued.
Bully for me, then.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score