Prices for new roof ...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our subdivision of 280 homes is now about 20 years old. About 10% of those homes are already re-roofed. There are at least 2 different roofing company people walking the subdivision asking to inspect ( sell you ) a new roof every week for the past year. So, I started pricing re-roofing about 2 months ago. Prices were always in the $13,000 to $ 15,000 range. That is until I talked to a roofer that installed new roofs on new sub-divisions ( installs about 10 roofs per week ) . He said, that if I was willing to wait a while until he was done at the current subdivision and is moving his crew and equipment to the next one, he would charge ... $ 7,680.00 . Six weeks later we now have a NEW ROOF !!!! :celebrate Took a 6 man crew an 8 hour day to remove our old roof and 5 1/2 hours to re-roof . :clap :ya

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
New roof $35,000 took weeks life time warranty. Old roof completely ripped off all new wood then rubber liner.

Yeah, it's going to cost a whole lot more if they go down that far. Most new roofings are on top of the old, I think. I bet roofs get heavy after a few layers.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted terra cotta tile roof to go with the Mediterranean style house $$$$$$$ looked at metal shaped like the terra cotta looked to fake. The gables really added to cost I had stain glass windows added then had gables stuccoed to match house.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm , you really got a bargain on that roof. Yes, it probably was just put on over the existing shingles; but given the age of the subdivision, you probably didn't have more than a layer or two before the roof job.

I hope I can find a similar bargain on rebuilding my patio, which was destroyed by our freak April snow storm. Still looking.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's going to cost a whole lot more if they go down that far. Most new roofings are on top of the old, I think. I bet roofs get heavy after a few layers.
Luck a friend of mine once called a roofer for a leak. He checked out the roof and told her there was to many old roofs the weight making the house unsafe. He told her her was going to have to report her for safety reasons. She told him do so and never let me catch you alone at night. Was over 10 years ago

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the old days, it was thought you could place 3 roofs on a house. Now, take old off to sheeting. To make shingles last need vents to allow heat to get out of attic. Heat kills shingles.
Impressed that only 10% of roofs have been replaced in 20 years. 30 year shingles are lucky to last 20 years.
@majorcatfish I’m with you, metal roof except DW won’t hear of it. Old metal roofs lasted a life time, new metal roofs need maintenance to check screws. Plus metal doesn’t last as long.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy new houses are built with kiln dried 1.7” X 3.5”. 2X4’s where old houses built with real lumber. Huge load bearing difference.

Latest posts