Public Enemy Number 1

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't remind me of those rats! I took down every apple on my tree. I refused to keep feeding them. haha But sadly now they've started on my Violette De Bardeux. :(

Mary

Well, I share your pain, my figs are also gone with the wind.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb, what's the name of the solar spotlight that you got so cheap? Do they put out a decent amount of light? I'm looking at several options to light a path between the house, the coop, and the barn.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb, what's the name of the solar spotlight that you got so cheap? Do they put out a decent amount of light? I'm looking at several options to light a path between the house, the coop, and the barn.

Actually I bought two different lights. We are so impressed with the small light that I have purchased additional units to be placed on the stockade fence near the back of our house. They provide dim light during the dark hours, but brighten when someone approaches, then dim again when the motion has ceased for ten seconds. Both lights serve our purposes well. The same small unit is for sale on Amazon for twice the price with a phony retail price of $39.95. Since I purchased them the prices have changed slightly, one went up, the other went down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281346089275?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231468476399?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I did my part in lowering their ranks. Hit one broadside at 55mph last Thursday. Only did an estimated $2500 in damage to the car and it still runs, so I'd say I won this round.

Been going all Rambo on some groundhogs around here too. Took out 4 so far this season.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you weren't hurt. But $2500 still sounds like a high price to me.
I just got the pickup back from blowing a brake line stomping on the brakes to miss one last week.
(hate those giant pasture rats....)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you weren't hurt. But $2500 still sounds like a high price to me.
I just got the pickup back from blowing a brake line stomping on the brakes to miss one last week.
(hate those giant pasture rats....)

It's amazing how little $2500 will buy when the car itself is barely worth twice that. My dad told me to keep my full coverage on it, so insurance will pick up all but the deductible, $500. Cracked the bumper, broke a headlight and a couple small dents, but you shoulda seen what it did to the deer! :gig DH and I have lived all these years in WV and this is the first deer we ever hit (he was driving). Heck, I've heard of them jumping out and hitting people in the side of the vehicle. Suicidal is right!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you a hubby are ok. My mom and dad where visiting my sister when my mom hit a deer. When I heard about it I called my mother I could tell she was crying. I tried making her feel better by saying I was sure it happened so quick the deer didn't feel anything. Turns out she was crying over $5.000 damage to her new car not killing a deer. :th

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I did my part in lowering their ranks. Hit one broadside at 55mph last Thursday. Only did an estimated $2500 in damage to the car and it still runs, so I'd say I won this round.

Been going all Rambo on some groundhogs around here too. Took out 4 so far this season.

What's your tactics on the groundhogs? Trapping, shooting, or something else? How do you go about it? For me, groundhogs are tough. I've managed to shoot a few through the years but it's tough getting a shot. I've never gotten one in a trap.

Check your car very carefully before you fully accept it back. One jumped in front of the car just after dark a few years back and hit the front right at about 50. My wife was driving and did not have a chance. The first estimate was also about $2500 but it wound up closer to $5000. We paid the deductible and the insurance covered the rest. There were creases in panels the first estimate did not find and a door just did not work right, including the window. The windshield slowly developed a crack. It didn't take long to spend $5000 on a 2006 model in 2014. I hate to imagine a new car. It was a Subaru Forester.

Latest posts