Pumpkin plant in my compost pile

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year, I put a leftover pumpkin out in the backyard for the birds to eat. They kinda did, but not really. I threw the remaning bits and seeds into the compost pile (not garden!) this year.

Yesterday, I noticed this plant in my compost pile, which resembled a zuchinni, cucumber???....No, a pumpkin plant! Yay! I'm so excited to see how it goes. I'm going to cover it with chicken wire to prevent those (see bunny rant in pests folder) bunnies from eating it.

:rainbow-sun

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi! :frow

They always seem to grow best of all on compost heaps. I have just popped a couple of spare melon seedlings on the tail end of my last compost heap. The new one is just starting to heat up. My 5 new chicks should add a bit more poo as they grow up.....!!

GOOD LUCK & HAPPY GARDENING! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Marrows (squashes and pumpkins) and melons (including cucumbers) are warm rooted plants. This means they prefer warm roots and there is no better place to find such a spot than on a compost or manure pile.
NOTE: This was featured in Aesop's fable, "The Farm Cock and the Weathercock." The story, which has nothing to do with gardening, is narrated by a cucumber - growing on the dung heap outside the garden fence.

You can offer this root warmth by spading manure and/or rotting compost at about a foot depth. As it decomposes below ground, the roots can take advantage of the warmth it creates.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Marrows (squashes and pumpkins) and melons (including cucumbers) are warm rooted plants. This means they prefer warm roots and there is no better place to find such a spot than on a compost or manure pile.
NOTE: This was featured in Aesop's fable, "The Farm Cock and the Weathercock." The story, which has nothing to do with gardening, is narrated by a cucumber - growing on the dung heap outside the garden fence.

You can offer this root warmth by spading manure and/or rotting compost at about a foot depth. As it decomposes below ground, the roots can take advantage of the warmth it creates.
Hi Davaroo :frow

That is exactly what I did a week or two ago for my melons. It is not really warm enough here in the South of England to grow them outside so I made a special deep raised bed, dug a pit in the bottom filled with new chicken poo, veg waste & grass cuttings (semi dried), on top of this I put a 12" pad of soil (With lots of matured compost). The melon plants were transplanted into this & are doing well. Everything is well mulched with fresh grass cuttings every week. So far I have kept them covered with glass but I am going to tent them as they grow , opening the tent on warm days. Oh! & I chose a variety of melon for cooler areas & the raised bed is situated where it gets the sun virtually all day. They are also getting their weekly dose of Aspirin water -- Thanks to your info on the subject.

I also have a couple of spare plants that I put into one of my compost bins. :D :frow

Luckily the weather is very warm at the moment but you can't depend on it lasting over here! :barnie

I'll keep you posted on their progress. :D

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
davaroo said:

Hi Davaroo :frow

That is exactly what I did a week or two ago for my melons. It is not really warm enough here in the South of England to grow them outside so I made a special deep raised bed, dug a pit in the bottom filled with new chicken poo, veg waste & grass cuttings (semi dried), on top of this I put a 12" pad of soil (With lots of matured compost). The melon plants were transplanted into this & are doing well. Everything is well mulched with fresh grass cuttings every week. So far I have kept them covered with glass but I am going to tent them as they grow , opening the tent on warm days. Oh! & I chose a variety of melon for cooler areas & the raised bed is situated where it gets the sun virtually all day. They are also getting their weekly dose of Aspirin water -- Thanks to your info on the subject.

I also have a couple of spare plants that I put into one of my compost bins. :D :frow

Luckily the weather is very warm at the moment but you can't depend on it lasting over here! :barnie

I'll keep you posted on their progress. :D
Sounds great Hattie!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just laughing about my little compost pile garden!! I have a sunflower, a very large dill plant, a calendula and a few other things, yet to be identified!! Nature is so cool!

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
davaroo said:

Thanks for the info! They are still doing great :D

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
I was just laughing about my little compost pile garden!! I have a sunflower, a very large dill plant, a calendula and a few other things, yet to be identified!! Nature is so cool!
Nature is very cool :thumbsup

Latest posts