Questions to Ponder

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You just have to hope that who ever gets sent out into the world will be careful of surfaces, etc. Now they are saying the virus can stay alive on cardboard for.....4 hours, I believe?
When I'm at the gym (now closed) I carry around a little stack of paper towels saturated in the disinfectant solution to wipe my hands and also to wipe down the machines before and after I use them. So I was thinking we all could carry around a wash cloth saturated in bleach water or something better smelling if there is something. I worry about catching it from door knobs or touch pads than from being in someone's cough spray.
I am just recovering from having the flu, so defenses are a little down, but lucky me, I am already taking Chloroquinine, or what ever they are calling it. So if I get it, maybe it won't last long. I have been in hibernation for two weeks, so.....(Did I say I'm going nuts?)

Here's a link to the solution to touching surfaces without smelling bad....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our church is severely restricting personal contact & canceling all activities outside of mass; but to judge by the coughing today, even masses may end up being canceled.
As of March 18Th, the Green Bay Diocese has canceled all masses district-wide. Only televised & broadcast masses until further notice. Went shopping today, and most food items have returned to their shelves & freezers.

Still no hand sanitizer anywhere & dim prospects for that reappearing any time soon. I might be able to purchase some through my job, since they seem to have found a supplier.

No bread flour anywhere either... you'd think they could have fixed that by now, we are a nation of wheat fields. I remember a couple weeks ago when I first noticed the local Oriental market had run out of rice, and all that was left was a 25-pound sack of high-gluten flour, which I passed by... wish I had that to do over. I wonder how many of the people buying that flour have never actually made their own bread.

Did score some instant milk, just as it was being put out. Pretty sad state of affairs when that simple act counts as an accomplishment.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You just have to hope that who ever gets sent out into the world will be careful of surfaces, etc. Now they are saying the virus can stay alive on cardboard for.....4 hours, I believe?
When I'm at the gym (now closed) I carry around a little stack of paper towels saturated in the disinfectant solution to wipe my hands and also to wipe down the machines before and after I use them. So I was thinking we all could carry around a wash cloth saturated in bleach water or something better smelling if there is something. I worry about catching it from door knobs or touch pads than from being in someone's cough spray.
I am just recovering from having the flu, so defenses are a little down, but lucky me, I am already taking Chloroquinine, or what ever they are calling it. So if I get it, maybe it won't last long. I have been in hibernation for two weeks, so.....(Did I say I'm going nuts?)

it seems to be very easy to spread so i'm in favor of keeping my distance and not touching shared surfaces as much as possible. the few times i have been out i've been wearing clean cotton gloves and trying to not touch my face along with removing the gloves and washing them and my hands when i come home.

no idea how effective any of this is if the people who are infected don't even know they have it until later. by then it is hard to trace all places they've been and do all that cleaning. you can hope that the natural light/UV will take some of this out eventually. so in a matter of time we get herd immunity as it does seem to kick off some immune reaction so you can't get it again if you've had it enough to begin with.

continuing to be patient and get exercise you can even if it is walking up and down the road or gardening. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came about reading this article on the Smithsonian website by a rather tortured route. I was reading about a February shipment of medical supplies to China from the US government and curious about the international organization that directed that.

Reading their releases, one of which was recommendations from a healthcare outfit, I came across a comparison to the so-called Spanish flu outbreak and a public parade in Philadelphia in 1918. The Smithsonian

There were military bases nearby with many American soldiers ill. The epidemic exploded in the civilian population after the parade.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A great many similarities, @digitS' . The difference is that we are taking greater precautions than in 1918... but COVID-19 still continues to spread. I'm not convinced that the "experts" fully understand how the disease is being transmitted, even among medical personnel who know & take proper precautions. It appears that "social distancing" isn't enough.

Both of our daughters have been working from home since this began, but have become ill anyway; probably from brief shopping trips. One is seriously ill, but the hospital has refused to test her for COVID-19 because she fails to meet their narrow selection criteria - no cruise ship contacts, etc. :mad: IMO that is a stupid decision, given that the virus is obviously community spread at this point, and potential patients should be identified, isolated, and treated as soon as possible. Such arbitrary & misguided policies will only exacerbate the spread, regardless of "social distancing"... I can't begin to express how angry this makes me. :somad

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A great many similarities, @digitS' . The difference is that we are taking greater precautions than in 1918... but COVID-19 still continues to spread. I'm not convinced that the "experts" fully understand how the disease is being transmitted, even among medical personnel who know & take proper precautions. It appears that "social distancing" isn't enough.

Both of our daughters have been working from home since this began, but have become ill anyway; probably from brief shopping trips. One is seriously ill, but the hospital has refused to test her for COVID-19 because she fails to meet their narrow selection criteria - no cruise ship contacts, etc. :mad: IMO that is a stupid decision, given that the virus is obviously community spread at this point, and potential patients should be identified, isolated, and treated as soon as possible. Such arbitrary & misguided policies will only exacerbate the spread, regardless of "social distancing"... I can't begin to express how angry this makes me. :somad

it is incredibly infectious along with not showing any symptoms for days which during the time when it is able to be spread. so basically you have people who don't know they have it wandering around and leaving a trail of a highly infectious agent.

not too long ago there was a very interesting study where they gave someone a slightly runny nose with an agent in it that made it visible under some kind of light (probably UV) and then they watched the person and scanned everyone at a party. after a pretty short period of time almost everyone had been exposed.

when you consider that the virus can persist for several days or longer on a surface and still be infectious it's just very likely that someone else might pick it up.

in recent conversations with relatives in various health care settings (retirement homes, nursing homes, etc.) they are practicing complete isolation (nobody comes in or out to visit) and all groceries are being dropped off outside and then taken out of packages and repackaged before allowed to go in and still assumed even then to be potentially infectious so washed down and treated as a risk.

i also have an ER doctor cousin in a bigger city not far from here and the number of poor people who use the ER for routine care is taking up sorely needed supplies for people who are much sicker. the people come in seeking drugs and food and a warm place and just by being there they then run the risk of being infected themselves and then really needing the supplies they didn't need before but now they don't have them... and this hasn't even fully hit our area yet, but it is coming.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will stop linking sad information anytime you tell me to, So Lucky :hugs.

I'd even delete stuff!

Here's something of a way to keep track of Coronavirus cases and deaths. Notice that you can change from one to the other, look at percentages and it is both for states and internationally.

real clear - coronavirus

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a more useful site for trend analysis, @digitS' . Why do I feel there will suddenly be a surge of people heading to Wyoming...

I'm really surprised that Hawaii is as low as it is, given that it has a lot of traffic with the Orient (and with military personnel returning from there).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Idaho now has more confirmed cases than Oregon.

Oregon has 3 times the population.

Resistance to stay@home may be strong in Idaho. One county sheriff says it's unconstitutional. Oregon had some of the earliest cases and the state government has been quite aggressive in suppressing the spread of the disease.

I spoke to an attorney here after arriving at her office for a morning appointment and finding out that she was home sick. She said that she talked to her doctor about the symptoms, which kept her in bed for that day. When I finally saw her (from one side of her waiting room to the other) she had a fever blister. She told me that her doctor just laughed when she asked about having a test.

At that time, she would have had to have been in contact with someone who had tested positive to be tested herself. Or, be hospitalized.

This was about 10 days ago. I hope that has changed.

Steve

Latest posts