radish flowers

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd pull them out now.

Once they start to flower they stop putting nutrients and energy to root development. Flowering is usually caused by cold with radishes.

Lucky for you they grow rapidly, just plant another crop. We usually plant ours in 3 week successions and have tons of them.

richnchicks

Sprout
Reaction score
thanks, they went through a couple cold nights and a snow storm and hail storm. will replant after the rain. we've already picked a few that were ready. rich

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Richnchicks?? where are you located. I am also in that zone.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you haven't pulled them yet, leave them. The seed pods of the radish are delish! There's a variety that's grown just for the pods, I grew it one year and they were yummy. Give it a try!

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like the seed pods too. I fermented some last year and they were AWESOME!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
poppycat said:
I like the seed pods too. I fermented some last year and they were AWESOME!
Hmmmm, radish wine....hiccup! :)

Pray tell, this is a new one to me, how do you prepare them? Do you eat them on crackers, or like a relish, on salads?

I love the "french breakfast" variety of radish. They can get big and tough if left too long. It happened to me last year, when I overplanted them, and couldn't use them fast enough. I let them go to seed, and eventually pulled them in the fall, for the compost heap. It would have been nice to know I could have eaten the pods.:/

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use them fresh in salads. You have to harvest them when they're still skinny, don't let the seeds develop too much or they get stringy and tough.

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bills said:
[
Hmmmm, radish wine....hiccup! :)

Pray tell, this is a new one to me, how do you prepare them? Do you eat them on crackers, or like a relish, on salads?

:/
I lactofermented them like pickles, kimchi or sauerkraut. They tasted kind of like capers only with the spicy radishy taste.

Latest posts