RAIN! SNOW! california!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I read somewhere (perhaps on an article linked here) that California produces around 87% and higher of some produce of the entire U.S.

People can double their gardens elsewhere but what about here?

I'm just trying to think of ways we can cut our water usage. But we've been preserving for years now. Not much more we can cut. I'm going to try putting a 5 gal. bucket in the shower to catch that cold water that is wasted before the hot comes on.

Mary
Mary ... some years back the mantra in the Bay Area was " If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down "! :cool:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
More rain on the way to N. California today!!!
sFun_crazydance.gif

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This storm system called the "Pineapple Express" Really does often look like a very long river in the sky from satellite images.

Hawaii is farther south even than the far tip of Baja, and the south west part of this usually comes from almost twice again as far.

What that news article did not mention while mentioning all the historic droughts, is that periodically, like every 20 years or so, we can get a pretty good flood caused by the Pineapple express, and yep, that is what we actually need. A 20 year flood.

Just, maybe with all the advance warnings nowadays, we can just do good preparations for it.

I was reading some about historic floods. Seems that inconsistently every few hundred years there are super floods in the golden state.

go ahead and peek at most any map of california. See how san francisco and the bay area is shaped? Now visualize that entire bay filled up with flood waters, making the area of the bay basically twice as big. That is just PART of a 200 year flood.

See that big central valley? Notice how its basic shape is actually kind of similar to the bay area's shape, only much larger? It extends kinda sorta up to Chico to the north, and kinda sorta down to past Fresno, pertdarnednear to Bakersfield to the south. Notice how each of those "wings" has a river in it? Those rivers kindasorta come together all around and between Sacratomato and Vallejo and Benicia, and from there they empty into the bay area...

Ok, for those who actually read the above bla bla, lol!!!

...picture those two rivers filled with water so they average 20 or more miles wide, and some places 75 miles wide!

That's a 200 year flood in California.

=====

Now we, some of us, read about those 500 year type droughts that can last 200 years. How would THAT change the map?

It would make those major rivers you see in the present maps look like DRY RIVERBEDS, and most of the lakes would become DRY LAKEBEDS. That estuary area around Benicia and the Carquinez Straits, where right now if you looked on Google Earth Satellite view you may spot the MOTHBALL FLEET of mostly world war II, would become much smaller and skinnier. Those ships would be on dry or maybe muddy bay bottom. The bridges there would be over mostly dry silt. That green area on maps in the agricultural areas in the central valley would revert to DESERT.

Most folks would move away, to who knows where. In fact, there would probably be a war or something. Maybe America would BUY the north west coastal areas of Mexico, but something would happen. Probably studies would be made about controlling the weather.

=====

Meantime, our beautiful PINEAPPLE EXPRESS has come to save the day, at least for now.

A good 20 year flood, with good preparations, proper work at the dams with proper holds and releases, and probably considerations about dredgework to increase capacities of present reservoirs will give us more time for if we do get a prolonged drought.

Ask me about a 20 year flood, like the one in 1965, or the one in 1986. They usually happen straddling new years and I'm going by memory, and I don't know if they call them 1964 or 1985 floods. I do remember driving to my girlfriend's house to Sebastopol from Santa Rosa in January 1986 because she was stranded at her gal friend's house, and on the phone I could hear her friend saying I'll never make it there, Sheree telling her, "Oh yes he will", and I did make it. Course I had to drive my car in water so deep, at night(!), the water poured in through the open window. Why open? I had to use a flashlight to see. My headlights were underwater!!! That ole monster, a 1972 Ford LTD with a police modified 489 to 512 just kept going through it on Llano Road, a back road rarely used, as hiway 12 was barricaded closed. I got there, and Sheree was singing, "aint no river wide enough" Ha! I was so shivering wet!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so pleased that you are getting some much needed precip. Saw that "Pineapple Express" on the news. It does look like a river from space. I'm not praying for a 500 year flood nor even a 100 year flood, but I sure hope you get enough rainfall (and then some) to replace what you need.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Big time raining. The lake began rising today!

We are calculated to have one third the inches of rain needed to be out of drought.

Latest posts