RAIN! SNOW! california!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
More rain in the forecast! I am so pleased to hear that (at least) some stress and uncertainty is off your immediate worry list. Now I'll be hoping that the bikini babes stay away for a while longer as you and your friend get time to become better acquainted.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now let's hope it stops at an appropriate time! Sometimes we get too much of a good thing.

Marshall, aren't you concerned about the levies along the Sacramento? Any "piling up" of water in the Central Valley isn't going to stay there.

(I wrote the 2 sentences above almost 24hrs ago. Interesting how TEG now saves drafts.) Anyway, badly broken California levies would make NOLA after Katrina look like a "minor inconvenience."

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yikes! And levees that have remained dry for a long time tend to attract burrowing/tunneling critters, which make seep holes and allow the levees to break, as in SE MO and SW IL a few years ago.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you realize that the rain falls only on the head of the dancing party. :eek:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't they remake those levies some years ago? I'll have to look into that.

I remember the highway to Sacramento years ago when I was a little kid was right next to one of the levies. It was old fashioned, but had long wooden water gates on top of it, and it ran for miles and miles. There was another one at the north part of San Pablo bay too.

Last time I went by the old Sacramento Levy, nighttime, it had things like car dealerships on top of it, and strip malls. It was dark. Maybe I'll be able to see it on google earth.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve I saw a special on either Discovery or History channel a few years back about the danger to Sacramento if certain earth dams above Sacramento fail. That was a TV special so they go out of their way to make it more dramatic and threatening that it probably is, or at least is likely to be. Still, I lived in the New Orleans area during Katrina and that storm was not strong enough to cause the damage it did if the levees had held like they were supposed to. The model they used to show how much damage there could be was pretty dramatic.

Mother Nature is pretty strong and she does not discriminate. Humans are no more important to her than tree frogs. And if you look at a proper time scale, these freak storms or droughts are actually the norm.

I’m really glad to see Marshall is getting enough water in his lake so he can probably lead his boat babes to safety in the lake if a fire threatens (and enough to lessen that fire danger some.) Hopefully it won’t cause serious damage. And hopefully this is the break that says the current dry pattern is changing. I can stand to live without all that drama.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm all for no drama.

I live only a few dozen miles from a treeline. Yeah, probably the alpine one but I'm talking now about the one for the Columbia Basin. As you are driving east on the interstate, you finally get back to some trees just about at Fishtrap Lake. First town is Cheney.

Those little Yellow Pines in that area sure look stressed to me. I don't want to see those trees dying back 10 or 20 miles because of a lack of rain and snow . . . :/

Steve

Latest posts