Range wars

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt that relations will settle between you. They will not be pleasant in any way. My bad neighbors, the one's who's dogs came after my family on my land, and it was our fault.... Have always been unpleasant , dumping debris on our property, etc. I can pretend that they do not exist, never look their way. My husband gets annoyed with them. I always say to him they do not exist for me.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEP, I have a neighbor I ignore. They are just to hard to be nice to. And I am nice to everyone! So I do as you do Cat. Pretend they do not exist..

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Read the entire thread tonight , interesting. We purchased our home 2 1/2 yrs ago, our neighbors garage is on our land. We have a decent relationship with our neighbors and won't raise a fuss. We built a privacy fence first thing. If they ever decide to sell their property then the issue will be addressed but until then it is not worth the drama or Ill feelings.
Red I'm glad everything turned out as you expected. I do hope they sell, less stress for everyone. I'd install security cameras for safety of your family and critters, but I am a worry wart.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
maybe ask the neighbors over.....:lol:
Perhaps I'll ask the deputies over for the party as well. I met another one this evening. It seems I have trespassed twice today and still have my trailer on their land. NOT! How do I make this family realize I have NEVER been on their land. Not today, not ever. Yet they continue to be on my land. Today they took the deputy on my land to see the trespassing trailer.

1.) I paid someone to give the neighbors a note asking them to get their things out of our part of the shed. That person posted the note since no one answered her knock.

2.) DS -- without asking me first -- cleared out the weeds along the West side of the (now divided) shed and put two rolls of barbed wire on their property.

At court Mr. said he had put two rolls of barbed wire he had removed from around his barn against our side of the shed. At court Mrs. said she put two rolls of barbed wire she had removed from the line fence that she found when they first bought the property. Of course one or both of them lied. I think the first owner put them there, but DS gave them back by tossing them onto their property. I told him it was dangerous. Someone could walk on the wire or drive a machine over it, so he picked it up and moved it against their side wall.

3.) My coop trailer was moved closer to his property -- maybe 5 feet into the 16.3 feet the Court said we own. Because there were 6 electric fence posts, ones I have moved every week when I mowed down there, that ran on either side of the trailer from Southeast to Northwest about three feet from the back of the trailer and five feet from the trailer front, the neighbor says part of my trailer is on his land.
Posts4.JPG

I never said nor intended the posts to be on a boundary line. Indeed the posts have always been in a crooked line and sometimes if followed from side to side, would have run right through my house and still he thinks they make up my idea of our boundary. Proof they have no clue . . . still!

Those are my three infractions of trespass and they wanted me arrested or at least cited.

4.) Their fourth complaint was my note. I asked them to remove their things from my side of the shed so DS could begin tearing the siding off. I admit I worded the short, terse note in a confusing way and they thought I intended to tear down my side of the shed. That would be un-neighborly and dangerous. DS would have done nothing to damage the structural integrity of the shed, just take the barn boards off one side for the furniture he makes.

Neighbor told the officer he expected at least 30 days before he had to give me possession of my property. He told the officer I have only 6 feet of the shed rather than the almost 13 feet the deed says. And accused me of going into the shed through the door on his property or I'd not have known that he had his things in my part. NOT! In Court he stated he had hardwood boards in my side. I've never been in the building since he purchased the property 16 years ago.

Despite the Court ruling, this won't be settled until the surveyor gets in there and cuts the "neighbors land" to the quick. I may end up paying the full amount for a survey, but anticipate the Court saying that we should share the cost so I am waiting. My attorney said this evening that the final papers should be done in 2 - 3 weeks. Said he must have misspoken yesterday when I heard 1 - 2 months.

While I'm waiting, two different officers tell me to stay off our property -- not the once disputed stuff but what's always been used by us -- until the survey is done just to keep the peace.
mowed area.JPG

The mown area has always been ours while the disputed line runs into and along the row of weeds at the right.

The first officer asked me to please NOT call them every time the neighbors trespass on my property while the second officer told me I SHOULD call them. To me it feels like first graders tattling. I won't bother calling. Of course that means the neighbor has all the trespass complaints against me and records don't show he's ever trespassed on our land. SIGH!

I win and I'm still waiting.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Read the entire thread tonight , interesting. We purchased our home 2 1/2 yrs ago, our neighbors garage is on our land. We have a decent relationship with our neighbors and won't raise a fuss. We built a privacy fence first thing. If they ever decide to sell their property then the issue will be addressed but until then it is not worth the drama or Ill feelings.
Red I'm glad everything turned out as you expected. I do hope they sell, less stress for everyone. I'd install security cameras for safety of your family and critters, but I am a worry wart.
GET SOMETHING IN WRITING! After 20 years, less in some states, the encroachment of their garage will be permanent. Getting the neighbors to write that they know their garage is partially on your land and they plan to settle the situation with you some day will prove there was no intent by them to take your land. Then when new neighbors purchase the land you will still have your rights intact.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, what Red said. Absolutely get it in writing. In some states I believe it's only 7 years for some types of encroachment.

We seem to be embarking on a version of range wars ourselves. We had to call the sheriff tonight, and I will call every time I see these people attempting to cross our land. They have ulterior motives I fear and are trying to set some sort of precedent that will stand up legally.