Ready, Set ... Winter!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

This has little to do with weather ...

Monet was born on this day in 1840.

Music by another Claude - Debussy.

Monet painted these willows the year Debussy died. Have you noticed how willows hold their green leaves so well in autumn?
Claude_Monet_Weeping_Willow.jpg

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent the last two days on a new jobsite in Morgantown. It's new construction, on a windy hill, in an, as yet, unheated building with many windows still out. Temps were in the 30's and the wind was whistling through the place. I'll be there again next week...temps in the teens to low 20's. I feel sorry for the brick layers outside. It's bitter cold inside, but there is at least some shelter from the wind. They are on scaffolding, fully exposed. It's not so bad if you are working and moving around a lot. But, my job often requires standing in one place for long periods of time, terminating wires.
Yesterday I learned that we have a camera job coming up...outside. It's still not been determined if I am highlining fiber optic cable (I think there was a picture posted of me up a pole doing that sort of thing). I hate climbing when it's that cold :(
Take care of yourself and stay safe! As for the masons, I would think they would wrap plastic sheeting around the structure so they can work. Around here propane heaters are used to blow heated air to keep the sheeting out and the space workable.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The structure is too large for that Red. It's an "L" shaped building with a 200,000 sq ft footprint. They are currently bricking up the third floor. I feel for those guys, but it's what they do for a living, so they know how to handle it, just like I handle what I have to do for a living. It's relatively unpleasant, but it comes with the job.
Climbing in the cold is the worst. Everyone knows dressing in layers is the best way to stay warm, but those layers make it very difficult to move things (like arms and legs), and gloves make it very hard to manipulate the safety harness clasps. I do it, but at my age, I'm beginning to wonder just how long I can keep doing it :\
Why can't gardening pay as well as electrician?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Snow? Sid someone say snow? I think we are supposed to get down to 30F tonight. I put the little styrofoam thingies on the faucets outside.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's 23* this morning, no wind, sunshine, frost on the pumpkin, and black ice on the cul de sac in front of our house. Quite nippy ! :oops: A fire truck and ambulance raced down the road nearby just now. Must have been a spin out, fender bender ,or something. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking how I prefer to see frost on these clear, cold mornings. However, we are heading to a burning ban, tomorrow.

The wind has been so bad that there hasn't been frost on quite a few mornings. If it's 15° and looks like Chernobyl out the window ... I pretty quickly lose any ambitions for going outdoors.

Movement creates some visual interest altho' I'd prefer not to see fender-benders. Kids bundled up on their way to bus stop and school is okay because they don't have far to go. Trash blowing down the road ... accompanying the kids, so sorry!

Near stillness at the moment with a robin egg blue sky. Hope it stays that way but Dept of Ecology is concerned. No break in temperatures until Tuesday when it may rain ..! Are you kidding me Weather Service!?! On this frozen ground and ... asphalt!!?

Steve :hide

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It looks like we are escaping this first arctic blast this time around. It is chilly here, but pretty much normal so far. The greens in the hoop house are still producing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
A soft blanket of white covers the yard and driveway, white fluff clings to the branches of the trees, large flakes dance and race in the sky.

Beautiful, this the first snow of the year!
Now I, for one, am ready for spring!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know, @thistlebloom. I am not ready for cold and snow just yet. It seems too early for single digit temperatures and frozen ground.

I still have garlic to get planted (under the snow), tulips and daffodils to get "naturalized" in the woods, and a geothermal heating system to get in before it is needed (oops, already late).

The failing furnace went out Friday sometime. DH kept the fireplace burning all day Saturday so I didn't worry until time for bed. Then I couldn't get the furnace running. It was cold (62°)when I went to bed and a bit cooler (59°) by morning. Fortunately, in the light of day I was able to get the furnace back to work and today we remained toasty warm as long as we stayed inside.

DH was in his glory shoveling -- he always feels better after working and shoveling our long driveway surely is work. Me, I brought warm water and treats to the chickens and rabbit when I gathered the eggs (can you call two eggs "gathering"?). Other that that, we pretty much hibernated. I really need a blast of Indian Summer.

Latest posts