Ready, Set ... Winter!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This time, this side of the Rockies will join the central part of the US in its weather event. Here's what the weather service is talking about for 5 days out:

DAY4_MIN_filled.gif

It is supposed to be 16°f here Wednesday morning and some of that cold may extend as far down as Portland, Oregon. (Break out that sweater, @bobm .)

I related yesterday (link) how friends are in Anchorage and I'm watching how things will play out for them to come home next week. They have already checked on the 4 of them leaving early and found that it would cost them hundreds and hundreds $ more. Last I looked, it may turn out okay for Anchorage with this superstorm blowing into the Far North but that's driving this Arctic air south!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess we shouldn't be surprised...Here in NYS we actually had a beautiful fall. I am going to get under a blanket and hibernate until Spring!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if @lesa (and, all of us) will be taking our garden produce under cover with us .. :)

We should all have taken a lesson from @jackb 's chipmunk friend. That picture of him showed us a serious sunflower seed hoarder!

Steve
who will gather more veggies today and stash them away, tomorrow

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Other than some green tomatoes I have ripening I've stashed about as much as I can. The persimmons are all that is left. I better get them before the possums do.

Steve, on another thread we both recently mentioned we had a fence to build. Thought I'd let you know I finally got mine finished.

How do you know the persimmons are ripe?

They disappear. The possums find them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you, @Ridgerunner !

That fence, I figure I can get a round tuit in about a week. I don't want the neighbor to think that she can veto the design but ... she can. I've told her the address of my model and described it ... I always think I'm being crystal clear with these sorts of things but .... I doubt it. Said I'd try to go by and shoot a picture.

Here's why I think I can finish the gardens, rest on my laurels, and still make a start in about a week. (It's also when East and West will part ways!):

814temp.new.gif

Sorry! The 8 to 14 day looks like dang cold for the eastern half of the US. You will have to check on what normal temperatures are for your neck of the woods ... We should have frost but maybe not with so much above normal. Concrete around posts should be okay ... right?

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's just a barbed wire fence so a neighbor's horses can keep and area grazed off. Nothing different than any other barbed wire fence.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any of these?
FencePostID.jpg

The maps above are updating ... daily ..!

I'm not too happy about the expanding cold for Thursday and the "above normal" beginning to sneak out of my corner of the world on the 8 to 14 day. I'm nearly on the "normal" line ... and it's a narrow path to walk, let me tell you!

Of course, things could be worse - I could be in Montana/Wyoming on Thursday ..!

Steve

Latest posts