Recycled Items for Gardening Purposes

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
People must be starting to work on their yards or else cleaning house, because my hubby came home with these 2 gallon pots that someone had kicked out to the curb. I was pretty excited when I saw them. There must be 75 pots, clean and in almost new condition. They will be handy for growing peppers and small tomato plants I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_140822147_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230307_140822147_HDR.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 74

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just realizing that this household does have bottles of about that size!

I believe that you said that they are milk bottles, Phaedra. We seldom buy milk but the bottles here are opaque. DW won't drink our tap water unless it's flavored with something and hot. So, we have lots of too small empty water bottles going to recycling.

However, during the Summer months, I'm inclined to drink Gatorade. Those bottles should work!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am just realizing that this household does have bottles of about that size!

I believe that you said that they are milk bottles, Phaedra. We seldom buy milk but the bottles here are opaque. DW won't drink our tap water unless it's flavored with something and hot. So, we have lots of too small empty water bottles going to recycling.

However, during the Summer months, I'm inclined to drink Gatorade. Those bottles should work!
Hi Steve,

In Germany, people have to pay 0.25 Euro per bottle when they buy bottled drinks. You can get the money back when you bring the empty bottles to the recycling stations (in all supermarkets), so the overall recycling rate is very good. However, the bottles for milk and juice are excluded. We ordered the milk from a small farm in the neighboring town and loved the milk (what they offered is the pretty rare A2 milk). Since they didn't take back the bottles, we can only put them in the common plastic recycle bin. It's nice to repurpose them for gardening.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I LOVE the way we here on TEG recycle LOTS of stuff! :love
I am disappointed. There was a program in St. Louis maybe 10 years ago, where they accepted all plastic pots from purchased plants. They asked people to sort them (loosely), but they did the rest, and many smallish (3-4inch) round and square pots were recycled.
Now NOBODY does this. :somad
I have had it with the climate change people. NOBODY is working on solving our trash problems!!!!!
Sometimes you come across a good use--
I couldn't find the shower floor made from recycled plastic bottles, as I have seen on "This Old House."

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For the lower part of the bottle, I cut a small 'window' for ventilation. It is still pretty effective for bad weather protection.
3881_0.jpg

Now, they are serving like their upper parts. For me, such bottles can protect seedlings properly. When the seedlings are mature enough, it's time to remove the bottles and use nets for keeping away flea beetles (for brassicas). The bottles can then go to protect other newer seedlings, like sweet corns.
3882_0.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Latest posts