Recycled Tomato Plants

ephemeralcas

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Aww, I have such a special place in my heart for volunteer tomatoes. I just like them so much because they had the strength and resilience to grow on their own. :) But i understand having too many cherry tomatoes. I had that same problem last year. Couldn't even give enough of them away. Lol it's a good problem to have.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
do what i do when you get an overabundance of tomatoes......make sauce! :p i use every type of tomato i grow when making sauce. i usually like the paste or the oxhearts but with all the cherry types i plant i get way too many to handle so they go in the pot too!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, "better" is a relative term, so it may mean something different to you than to tomato hybridizers. Saving seed from hybrids probably won't produce a tomato with all the qualities of the parents, but it may still be a tomato worth some garden space. I just wouldn't base my whole tomato crop on second generation plants from hybrids. And then, the seed from those may not be true to their parents either. Some people like surprises in the garden.

ephemeralcas

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Isn't it crazy how some people go their whole lives thinking that's (the tasteless supermarket tomatoes) how they are supposed to taste. No wonder kids are so picky because their veggies don't actually taste that good. :(

ephemeralcas

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Me too! I have a bunch of different colored heirlooms this year and I'm so excited to see/taste how they turn out! <3

Latest posts